News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

steel wool/removing scratches from hard plastic

Started by southernphoneman, September 03, 2013, 08:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernphoneman

can someone tell me if steel wool will work on removing scratches from hard plastic? thank you, southernphoneman.

Dennis Markham

My initial reaction would be that it will add scratches to hard plastic.  I've never tried it but seems to me it will do more harm than good.  You could try some on the inside of a soft plastic housing that has little value and see what happens.

LarryInMichigan

I would not try it.  Depending on how deep the scratches are, Micro Mesh sanding pads and/or a plastic polish would be best.

Larry

WesternElectricBen

I think it would just make it worse, I'm guessing you have use Novus 2 and Novus 3 on it?

But I would just sand it down.

Good luck, I myself have sanded down a phone but just haven't found a high grit sand paper yet.
Ben

southernphoneman

dennis,larry,and ben, I thank you for replies, and judging by the advice from all of you I will not use still wool,i have been reading Dennis's posts on sanding and I will end up following his techniques because his work is exquiset,thank you once again,southernphoneman ;)

Sargeguy

Hold on.  I have used #000 and #0000 steel wool on plastic 302s and 354s.  It works well is crevices or other hard to sand places.  It is especially useful in erasing sticker residue. Follow up with fine grit sandpaper and/or Mirlon and then some Novus.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

I concur, I have used #000 extra fine steel wool on 500-series Tenite to remove paint sprinkles and other hard residue. Yes, it does scratch the plastic too of course, but this can be polished up fairly easily starting with Novus #3 or with a couple fine micromesh polishing cloths, or as mentioned already.

Doug Rose

I have wet sanded 302s and a soft plastic 500 sets in small damaged areas with good results. I have never tried steel wool on them. The wet sand worked great...Doug
Kidphone

Tim Mc

I've used 1500 grit wet sand, followed with 2000 grit wet sand, then Turtle Wax T-415 premium rubbing compound with great results, mostly on 302 plastic bodies.

Let me add that I have Novus 2 & 3 and the rubbing compound works best for me.

southernphoneman

Quote from: Tim Mc on September 13, 2013, 09:29:36 AM
I've used 1500 grit wet sand, followed with 2000 grit wet sand, then Turtle Wax T-415 premium rubbing compound with great results, mostly on 302 plastic bodies.

when you say 302 bodies do you mean the metal or plastic? thank you, Gregg

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: southernphoneman on September 13, 2013, 02:59:44 PM
Quote from: Tim Mc on September 13, 2013, 09:29:36 AM

when you say 302 bodies do you mean the metal or plastic? thank you, Gregg

I actually think people use this on their head lights so it could be for plastic. Though if it is a car wax it will work on metal too.

Ben

Sargeguy

In addition to some #000 and #0000, get some of this stuff:

Mirlon Nonwoven Total Scuff Sanding Pad, Assorted Grit, 3 pack
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409