and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Shiny AE A1

Started by Pourme, June 24, 2018, 06:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdelius

it would not be hard to install an E1 to but it back to all WE

Jim Stettler

I think it would look good with an E1. However, that early  AE handset with chrome bands really looks sharp on that phone. Since I like shiny phones, the look is were it is at. If it were mine, I would leave it as it is.
Just my opinion,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

oldguy

Thanks guys, for all the positive comments. It's nice to know I'm not the only one that likes shiny things :) :)
Gary

Doug Rose

Gary....do you have a link for this auction....I was watching it and then I lost track of it....thanks...>Doug
Kidphone

oldguy

Gary

Doug Rose

Gary.....you got a deal. Chrome band AE handset is a beauty in itself is a nice find. What a great find....Doug
Kidphone

oldguy

Thanks Doug, I was the 1st bidder & bid $120, hoping to get the phone at closer to the opening price of $69 but somebody bid me through the roof. Could it have been a tactic of the seller? Having somebody bid it up? The bidding seems weird to me.
Gary

FABphones

Quote from: oldguy on October 10, 2018, 08:33:17 AM
Thanks Doug, I was the 1st bidder & bid $120, hoping to get the phone at closer to the opening price of $69 but somebody bid me through the roof. Could it have been a tactic of the seller? Having somebody bid it up? The bidding seems weird to me.

Hmmm... I took a look at the bidding, that comes across as very odd to me too. Pushing it up so many times by just $2 on each bid. Maybe so they could retract their 'last bid' yet stay close to your top bid (if/when theirs went higher than yours). Is there any way to nicely question it via eBay? Maybe a quick chat with them? They might be able to see how closely (in distance or otherwise) the other bidder info resembles the seller info. They won't (and shouldn't) release any of the other bidder info, but they will be able to see if the other bidder lives in the same town as the seller, and how recent their eBay Account is.

Either way, very nice phone, I would be very pleased to have one in my collection.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

TelePlay

Quote from: FABphones on October 10, 2018, 09:23:16 AM
Hmmm... I took a look at the bidding, that comes across as very odd to me too. Pushing it up so many times by just $2 on each bid. Maybe so they could retract their 'last bid' yet stay close to your top bid if/when theirs went higher than yours). Is there any way to nicely question it via eBay? Maybe a quick chat with them? They might be able to see how closely (in distance or otherwise) the other bidder info resembles the seller info. They won't (and shouldn't) release any of the other bidder info, but they will be able to see if the other bidder lives in the same town as the seller, and how recent their eBay Account is.

Regular Member Post

That style or type of bidding is not unusual. Since I update the number of bidders and bids on each auction contest, I see it often.

In this case, the buyer l***d ( 267) placed a very high bid on 9/23 and 6 days later, a very new eBay buyer p***s (1) saw the listing sitting at its listed price. That buyer then bid the minimum only to find out he/she was overbid. So, another minimum bid and overbid again. Kept this up for 15 more times and at $105 was still overbid. p***s (1) at that point did not want to pay more than $105 for the phone and it went to l***d ( 267) for $107.50, the minimum increase of $2.50 once over $100, and high bid l***d ( 267) was never exposed, topped by any other buyer.

Auction contest 345 had a similar bidding style except the winning buyer a***d (94)s high bid was exposed twice by a***u (368) so had to increase his/her bid and then put in an even higher bid about 4 hours after the last bid was placed by a***u (368) to make sure they won the phone. a***u (368) gave up at $150 and a***d (94) won the phone for the minimum bid, $2.50, over a***u (368)'s final bid.

That minimum bidding technique is nothing more than someone trying to expose the bid placed by another buyer and allows the multiple buyer to either expose the high bid or stop bidding when the amount they last entered was the maximum they would want to spend for the item.

Nothing strange or "illegal" about it, just the way some buyers choose to bid.

(PS: this does not rule out shill bidding, the seller having a second account or a friend, to bid the item up to a selling price the seller finds acceptable, and that is frowned upon by eBay but hard to expose or prove - a buyer with a feedback rating of 1 might indicate a shill account)

FABphones

May I join in Benny? I think I might have your twin.
Price was $42 ish. Needs to be made more shiny...  :)

tubaman

@FABphones - I was watching that one on eBay and am glad that one of us on the forum got it.
Please post more photos when it arrives.
:)

FABphones

Thanks. Will do.  :)

It just about sneaks into my theme of 'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'.  :D

Pourme

~

Fab!

I think you found my phone's long lost cousin!

Can't wait to see pics after you give it some TLC....
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

rdelius

This came  from COT