News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Grammont French Desk Set

Started by tubaman, September 21, 2018, 01:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

My latest eBay buy is this Grammont desk set - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grammont-Paris-Vintage-Telephone-Receiver-/312234487910. The style is rather like a GrabAPhone.
I was the only bidder at £19.99 + p&p which surprised me as I thought it would get more interest.
It's in decent shape and is a pretty little thing.
It is surprisingly heavy as the handset is really solid and the phone base is a solid plate of metal about 5mm thick.
The insides have been modified at some time in the distant past - it has what I think is a buzzer added, presumably so it could be used as an intercom?
:)

paul-f

That's quite an attractive set with an interesting handset.
Great find!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

RB

yeah it is! hope you get that one workin.

tubaman

Quote from: RB on September 21, 2018, 02:35:43 PM
yeah it is! hope you get that one workin.

I think I'll need some sort of a subset to get it going as it has no transmission coil right now (and doesn't appear to have ever had one).
It would be nice to get it going though.

FABphones

Cute. That's a nice addition to your collection. It is called a Grammont 'petit modèle'.

This is the only photo I have in my listings/records. Photo taken on a very similar background, I haven't looked closely but wonder if it is the same one:
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

I've just been googling and found another on this site - that belongs to Jean Godi.

What a stunning collection! French phones from the early period are real works of art and I'd happily give a home to any of them.

oldguy

Beautiful phone, congratulations.
Gary

dsk

A great find! Have you tested it yet?

dsk

tubaman

Quote from: dsk on September 27, 2018, 03:25:44 PM
A great find! Have you tested it yet?

dsk

I've only done some very quick testing so far.
The receiver is certainly working but I'll need to rejig the wiring to get it working on a line as its been modified at some time (a long time ago by the looks of it).
I do have another old French phone without a transmission coil that works ok so I'll take a look at how that is wired for some clues.

tubaman

I've been playing with this a bit more and can get it working as a very simple circuit by having the transmitter and receiver in series across the line when off-hook.
The buzzer even works on ringing too (it's 2k resistance which is perfectly usable).
Unfortunately the transmitter is very crackly, but as it's the best part of 100 years old I suppose I can forgive it!

dsk

you may try to put a 220 ohms resistor between the transmitter terminials. This will often reudce the crackling without a considerable loss of signal.

dsk

tubaman

Quote from: dsk on September 30, 2018, 10:27:02 AM
you may try to put a 220 ohms resistor between the transmitter terminials. This will often reudce the crackling without a considerable loss of signal.

dsk

Top tip - thanks dsk!
I have a 270 ohm and tried that - it does indeed stop most of the crackling and still seems to transmit pretty well.
I assume this is because it stops the full line current going through the transmitter?

dsk

Nice to hear! 270 ohms should do the job as well as 220. 
dsk