News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Yet another unusual flea market phone find for me!

Started by AdamAnt316, February 06, 2011, 02:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamAnt316

Quote from: GG on March 01, 2011, 01:58:17 AM

I have a gray WE Autovon 5-line set around here (missing the faceplate, anyone know where I can find one?) so if you like, I could dig it out and see exactly how it's wired.   I have another WE Autovon dial sitting here (right on the shelf where I could find it easily:-) , type 66A3A, dated 10-73, with ten wires of which 5 are "taped and stored" (using proper insulating sleeves) so it's likely that only 5 wires were used when it was in a phone.  I'm going to guess that the dial in the telephone is the same type, which may be wired differently than your 66D3A.

I would very much appreciate that. :) The main difference between the dial in your AUTOVON phone and the dial I have, most likely, is the use of a D-sub 9 connector in place of the usual spade lugs. If you can get me the places where the dial is wired, along with the color coding of those wires, I should be able to figure it out. For testing purposes, I'm planning to disconnect the dial from one of my 2500s, and temporarily installing a cable with a female D-sub 9 connector on one end, and wire leads on another, to allow the AUTOVON dial to connect in it's place. The schematic for a standard 2500 set shows eight wires from the dial, all of them connected to various terminals; I've been going from color codes alone to try and connect my phone to one, but as the color codes between a 35-series dial and a 66-series one are somewhat different (not to mention the presence of an extra wire), I've hit a dead end with this method. Also, I'm not quite sure exactly how the innards of a 35xx-series phone compare to that of a 25xx-series phone, as I haven't yet found any documentation pertaining to AUTOVON sets.

Quote from: GG on March 01, 2011, 01:58:17 AM

BTW, I got that phone + the extra dial in trade for a properly reconditioned/new-equivalent orange 2500 that happened to be on my truck at the time.  This was at an old mil surplus place in Oakland CA, over 10 years ago.  The guy at the counter said he didn't have any more of those and I didn't want to be a pest by asking to dig through the proverbial pile.   

Very cool! Sounds like quite a deal. By the time you got your phone, the AUTOVON system had been out-of-use for nearly a decade (discontinued around 1990, IIRC), so there only being one phone left is definitely a possibility. My AUTOVON adjunct dial is the first one I've ever seen in the flesh anywhere.
-Adam