Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dan/Panther

$285.00

Housing crack, and Receiver cap cracks.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

TelePlay

Wow, what a thud! So big, the USGS recorded it as 3.2 tremor in the center of the United States with smaller tremors reportedly felt across both ponds. Wasn't that something. The 3rd most watched phone on eBay for 4 days did not get even one snipe. But, I digress . . .

So, the winner of Auction Contest #238 is Sargeguy who with the 15th entry into the contest went low and offered the winning guess of $250.00 to give him his 19th auction contest win extending his ever high championshipness in the standings. So, a big congratulations goes out once again to Sargeguy for another win in the CRPF Auction Contests and for moving up one more rung into the even higher wilder blue yonder of the Contest Standings list of winners. The ladder just got higher for everyone else, it seems . . .

This 10 day auction started at $9.99 and moved up over the first 3 days to $127 and stayed there abouts, in the $130s, until the last day when it increased to $170 and then 189.22 where it stayed for the final few hours with 56 watchers, waiting for those final snipes. But everyone must the chance to own the phone and there were no sniped as the auction ended. So, the high bid placed by d***k ( 658 ) 4 hours before the auction ended was enough to take the phone home for a seeming good deal of $182.99. The 10 day auction attracted 9 bidders placing 14 bids.

Check out the updated Contest Standings to see who's who through 238 contests and the latest additions to the CRPF Hall of Fame

Thanks again to all who played. As always, there is only one way to get on the winner's board or move up a rung - you have to play to win.

wds

I'm confused - if the phone sold, why is it relisted?

I asked the Seller why it's back on Ebay and he said:  "They buyer canceled the order after winning".  Sounds fishy,
Dave

TelePlay

Quote from: wds on November 16, 2016, 06:22:58 PM
I'm confused - if the phone sold, why is it relisted?

I asked the Seller why it's back on Ebay and he said:  "They buyer canceled the order after winning".  Sounds fishy,

Talk about confused, this gave me whiplash.

Well, the contest stands. The guesses were in, it went to an end time and it sold.

Now, why would a buyer place their one and only bid a few hours before the end time, win the phone, at a very good price, for whatever other reason there was that no snipes came in and then back out of the sale?

And can one believe the seller in saying the buyer cancelled the sale when it could have been the seller who cancelled out the buyer, but then the second chance for the second highest bidder would have a chance to take buy the phone under eBay rules, right? And if the buyer backed out, the eBay rules give the second highest bidder a second chance, right? It's one of those two, if not both.

But, for sure, I'm not running another contest for that phone.

Here are the screen shots of the "sold" phone and the new listing:

Dan/Panther

Only 4 feedback, I bet the seller wasn't satisfied, and thought he could just refuse to sell at that price. Who in their right mind would refuse that phone for $180.00 ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

TelePlay

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 16, 2016, 09:35:56 PM
Only 4 feedback, I bet the seller wasn't satisfied, and thought he could just refuse to sell at that price. Who in their right mind would refuse that phone for $180.00 ?

Yes, feedback of 4 but only 1 in the last year as a buyer and 3 more than a year ago with only one of those 3 being a seller. So, you may be right and he may loose his 100% rating.

If you were the buyer and the seller canceled the sale and relisted it, would you go to eBay and ask them to enforce the sale?

Sargeguy

Maybe the buyer noticed the cracks that were not previously disclosed?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 17, 2016, 08:54:24 AM
Maybe the buyer noticed the cracks that were not previously disclosed?

The cracks were mentioned, though not emphasized:

Date coded 1952 phone came from a collection.
One cap appears to have hairline cracks (pictured).
There is also one very small hairline on the very bottom in front (pictured).
I have no way to test the phone.
It displays nicely and should polish and clean up great.
Will not ship overseas.
This is a no reserve auction.
Any questions or if you need more pictures feel free to write us. 

SOLD AS IS      NO RETURNS
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Regardless of all that was said, the phone sold for more the second time around, $277.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Original-Western-Electric-PEKING-RED-302-Telephone-/112206763523

First time around it sold for $182.99 with 9 bidders placing 14 bids. This time, it attracted only 7 bidders and 28 bids. The person who fought over this phone and won it was r***s ( 3136 ). The other highly interested bidder was 5***j ( 1057 ). Neither of these two bidders placed any bids on the phone the first time around.