News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My visit with Paul Fassbender

Started by compubit, August 26, 2015, 09:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

I made the trip north to visit Paul and his wife Chris (and of course, the phones!). I had a great time with him showing his collection.  I was amazed at all of the things he's acquired over the years.  I felt like a kid in a candy store.  Chris brought us iced tea on the humid summer day, but the weather didn't bother me at all.   Some of the phones brought back memories of visiting the Southwestern Bell Phone Center Store in the mall and the GTE Phone Mart in town.

I picked out some items (see below) for my collection, Paul did his math, and I was the proud owner of several new and new to me phones.  Then I spied a box we didn't go into, and came across a maroon Contempra, which appeared to be either NOS or new plastics - this was immaculate and I handed over a little more money  ;) .  Being from Texas A&M, running across something good quality in the maroon color scheme is something you grab for.

Anyway, I had a great time, and a fairly I eventful trip (though my car broke down after I got home - it's fixed, and that's what emergency funds are for!).

Thanks, Paul!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

compubit

Now for pictures!

What I originally planned on picking up... (10 button Trimline and Swirled Slenderets...)
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

compubit

Other things I ended up getting... (Maroon Contempra, Director, and Gray 220/AC1 shells...).

I've filled the gray shell with the innards of a 220AL donor phone - but the shell doesn't like the plastic that the LED is mounted in, so I have a 1mm gap at the top of the phone (plus I have the dial-wheel center cover and recall button in the donor's beige).  The final phone will have 220A internals and I'll paint the cover and button gray...

I also picked up some 1500 equipment along the way.

Jim

HarrySmith

Congrats! You picked up some great stuff and got to meet a great Fellow Fone Freak!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"