News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bought a candlestick

Started by Nilsog, November 14, 2011, 11:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilsog

I picked this candlestick up at an antique place in New Jersey. Guy wanted $100 for the stick and $75 for a space maker. I got him down to $100 for both. I like candlesticks but I hasn't found one I thought was worth the outrageous prices attached to them. This was different when I noticed it was stamped ' PROPERTY OF THE AMERICAN BELL TELEPHONE COMPANY'. I know these are done of the older ones so I though where I could get both for the price of one it was a good deal. The candlestick is missing a lot of stuff, but can you guys give me the details on it? I can't find a date, and the Z is the only printed making on the inside. The last picture is the space saver which is almost all dated 10/38.
Ken

Nilsog

Also I apologize for any typos or wrong words, my smartphone isn't as smart as I wished it was and I have no computer access.
Ken

LarryInMichigan

It sounds like you did well.  Your G1 mount looks like it has a #4 dial.

I am no expert on candlesticks, but the perch on yours does not look like either of my WE sticks.  Someone here should be able to identify it.

Larry

rdelius

It is a WE.Good find with the side screw switch.Is the bottom cover missing?
Robby

Nilsog

Ken

Nilsog

So can anyone help me put a date to this? All I have now is pre-1900, since American Bell became AT&T in 1899. Does that sound right or did they continue stamping them after that?
Ken

dencins

Quote from: Nilsog on November 20, 2011, 02:57:39 PM
So can anyone help me put a date to this? All I have now is pre-1900, since American Bell became AT&T in 1899. Does that sound right or did they continue stamping them after that?

Maybe not much help but the 229 transmitter was introduced in 1895 and was in production for twenty years until the 3XX replaced it.  That would suggest the candlestick was made between 1895 and 1899 when American Bell became AT&T. 

Dennis

Sargeguy

That candlestick is fantastic.  It looks like an original black early style screw-in-the side no-date-on-the base type.  Sweet find.  I'd give you $50 for it!  Is it stamped 20-S at the back of the perch?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Nilsog

It is the screw in the side model. One of the first things I noticed, unfortunately the screw is missing. If you're offering me 50 I'm glad I got the G1 with the 4H dial thrown in with it! I almost paid $100 just for the stick but decided to press my luck and out turned out in my favor! Oh, and I'll check for a number when I get home, but I'm going to say no because I scoured it for markings and photographed all I found.
Ken

Sargeguy

I would probably give you more than $50, or trade you something.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Quote from: Nilsog on November 20, 2011, 10:23:15 PM
It is the screw in the side model. One of the first things I noticed, unfortunately the screw is missing. If you're offering me 50 I'm glad I got the G1 with the 4H dial thrown in with it! I almost paid $100 just for the stick but decided to press my luck and out turned out in my favor! Oh, and I'll check for a number when I get home, but I'm going to say no because I scoured it for markings and photographed all I found.
Ken....Why would you want to sell this? A Bottom plate is very easy to pickup on eBay for around $20. Look on the perch on the back, there should be a number engraved. This will clean up great. You are just starting out collecting phones, don't sell or trade something you will regret later. Message me if you need a bottom plate, I have one somewhere. I have a 22 and the side screw is missing. it is not the end of the world. Great stick. put it on a shelf....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Kidphone

wds

Dave

LarryInMichigan

Sargeguy

Doug,
Do you mean that you have a spare wood/metal 2-hole baseplate???  I'd be interested as I anticipate coming into possession of a 20-S with a screw shaft in need of a baseplate within the next week or so.
Thanks
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409