News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

European Phone ID ( Telefon Fabrik Automatic M36 & D08)

Started by Fabius, January 05, 2016, 10:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

Came across these two European phones today in an antique shop. The phone towards the back I see all the time but what is the one in the front? There was a price tag of $135 on it.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Buzby

Matilo Telephones

The one at the front is a Telefon Fabrik Automatic M36.

Very heavily built bakelite telephone. Absolutely bomb proof. In the middle, where the wire for the paper price label is attached, is a carrying ring.

The ring accomodates only one finger though. And with the telephone being very heavy, it is not comfortable to carry it around while talking on the Phone. So I assume it is only for moving the Phone and not for holding it. :-)

The other one is a D08.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

AdamAnt316

Yeah, the one at the back is indeed a D08. I refer to it as "The phone which launched a thousand clones," since numerous manufacturers (mostly in Asia, it seems) began cranking out untold numbers of "French phones" based on its general design (rather ironic, given that the D08 hails from Denmark!) in the '70s and '80s. Here is a picture of my ivory D08, sitting next to a Radio Shack 43-320 "French Continental" phone, which (IIRC) was made in Japan.

LarryInMichigan

I think that $135 for an M36 is somewhat high.  It is a quite interesting phone.  Nothing in my collection looks anything like it, and mine works very well.  The D08s are quite common, so I wouldn't expect to have to pay more than about $40 for one in decent shape.  It seems like nearly all of the D08s in Denmark were shipped to the USA in the 1960s/70s.

Larry

Jim Stettler

Turtle Lake Telephone (Wisconsin)imported thousands of the original phones. There is a photo somewhere that shows a huge (many feet) pile of them. I think this was in the late 60's- early 70's . The story was that Bob Prosser (owner) bought them for .50 each in quanity.

As time went on they started making some repro parts to finish out the remaining phones. Later  complete phones were being reproduced in Asia.
I think all the Turtle Lake phones had original bases.
JMO,
Jim S.
BTW I would probably not pay more than $75.00 for a complete original phone.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Fabius

Quote from: Jim S. on January 06, 2016, 12:49:41 PM

Jim S.
BTW I would probably not pay more than $75.00 for a complete original phone.

Okay, thanks.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

andy1702

Quote from: AdamAnt316 on January 06, 2016, 02:31:24 AM
Yeah, the one at the back is indeed a D08. I refer to it as "The phone which launched a thousand clones," since numerous manufacturers (mostly in Asia, it seems) began cranking out untold numbers of "French phones" based on its general design (rather ironic, given that the D08 hails from Denmark!) in the '70s and '80s. Here is a picture of my ivory D08, sitting next to a Radio Shack 43-320 "French Continental" phone, which (IIRC) was made in Japan.

Would it be possible to post a photo if the terminals inside the D08 please? I just bought one with a fault and I think the wiring (converted for UK use) is probably wrong.

Thanks.

Andy.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.