News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Where do you buy your Capacitors

Started by WesternElectricBen, October 27, 2013, 10:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

I dismantled a faulty ATX computer power supply not too long back (no reason for it, I just like to take things apart!!), and it just so happened to have a .47uF cap as a mains filter cap, haven't tested it out on a ringer yet, but it has no signs of damage, so that's a useful spare, though why they used that size of cap in there I don't know, usually they use the little ceramic "pillow" things across the Live and Neutral... ???

Still, a handy spare at least...  ;D

Mr. Bones

Nice haul, Dave!

Are those Sprague 'Orange Drops? they certainly look like it. (drool). Some of the best for certain, high-accuracy things. Guitar tube amplifier mods / repair come to mind, right off the top.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

DavePEI

Quote from: Mr. Bones on February 21, 2014, 09:57:53 PM
Nice haul, Dave!

Are those Sprague 'Orange Drops? they certainly look like it. (drool). Some of the best for certain, high-accuracy things. Guitar tube amplifier mods / repair come to mind, right off the top.

Best regards!

No, they aren't - they are a generic Chinese version, but similar. I do have my own private reserve of Orange Drops out in my Electronics work shop, though. I also have some Sprague Black Beauty and Bumble Bee caps, all great tone capacitors. Too nice to waste in a phone :) Not sure what values I still have in them - left overs from the years I serviced TVs and Radios.

By the way, Happy Birthday!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

I received more 1 uf capacitors to add to the supply today. As this is more than I will ever need, I am offering them to you for the cost of postage only (Maximum 2 per person). The three values are .47 uf, 1 uf, and 2 uf. I have no idea exactly what they will cost to send to the US, but if I can get them sent as a first class letter it should be minimal. However, the P.O. is getting contrary and saying First Class has to be paper only. That being said, I have managed to send a few components first class lately. If not, they should go small packet rate...

These are Chinese made mylar film capacitors with good lead length for making connections.

Anyway, it is just an offer in case it helps someone. I reserve the right to cut off the offer if my supply dwindles too much. Please state the value you need.

I now have:
10 - 47 ufd 200 v
40 - .47 ufd 400 v
50 - 1 ufd 400 v
10 - 2 ufd 400 v

See photo below...

Of course, if you need more than a couple, you can order them from the eBay links below, but the delivery time from China is about a month (if not longer).

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001