News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

“New phones”

Started by Whitcrane76, July 06, 2019, 04:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitcrane76

Bought one from a friend and had one donated! Candlestick with #2 dial $150. I didn't really want to pay that much but it's worth it. 12/58 aqua blue 554, got it for free but her clothes need some tlc. Somebody treated her bad! Looking for opinions.  Find the aqua blue, or go ahead and put it back to black like it probably started life anyways?

andre_janew

Since you have the parts on hand, just put it back to black.

Whitcrane76

Quote from: andre_janew on July 06, 2019, 04:42:25 PM
Since you have the parts on hand, just put it back to black.

Probably what I'm going to do, but aqua blue does look nice.
Also some more pictures of the candlestick.

Key2871

Hang tight, maybe a housing will turn up. Reminds me of a set I got in a yard sale years back, got a pink 554, hardwired for a buck. I couldn't get the money out of my pocket fast enough. Everything else was way over priced, but it was mint, I though the person was going to say it was marked wrong, but I ran to my car with a huge smile on my face.
KEN

RotarDad

Nice candlestick.  That 554 has a #7 dial - you could check the color code and date and see what it was in '58 if the dial is original.  That black bezel is for a #9, so you'll have swap the dial if you go that route.  Vintage 554 shells are not easy to find, in my experience, but I like the "return to original" route, if you can do it...
Paul

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Whitcrane76 on July 06, 2019, 05:19:56 PM
Also some more pictures of the candlestick.

Is that a 51AL made from something earlier during refurbishment? It looks like "51AL" on the wrong side of the perch.

Thanks
Jack

Whitcrane76

Quote from: Jack Ryan on July 07, 2019, 01:57:53 AM
Is that a 51AL made from something earlier during refurbishment? It looks like "51AL" on the wrong side of the perch.

Thanks
Jack

It's kind of odd the back side looks like it has 51AL crossed out.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Whitcrane76 on July 07, 2019, 10:03:47 AM
It's kind of odd the back side looks like it has 51AL crossed out.

What is written on the front - it is not very clear?

Jack

Whitcrane76

Quote from: Jack Ryan on July 07, 2019, 10:05:27 AM
What is written on the front - it is not very clear?

Jack

It's got 51AL also.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Whitcrane76 on July 07, 2019, 10:12:09 AM
It's got 51AL also.

It looks like you got the phone the apprentice refurbished.

Jack

Whitcrane76

Quote from: RotarDad on July 06, 2019, 11:09:05 PM
Nice candlestick.  That 554 has a #7 dial - you could check the color code and date and see what it was in '58 if the dial is original.  That black bezel is for a #9, so you'll have swap the dial if you go that route.  Vintage 554 shells are not easy to find, in my experience, but I like the "return to original" route, if you can do it...

Good eye!
The phone is '58, the dial is '66, and the aqua blue came in '76, so it'll most likely be going back to black. The '81 cover and a modular handset until I can (hopefully) find a date matching cover and hardwired handset.