News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 42 - 1958 Western Electric 500 in Light Beige

Started by bingster, January 13, 2010, 06:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

As for what I'd actually pay for this phone, well it's probably exceeded that already.  I'd give 50 for it, and then I'd try to decide if I'd sand it to get rid of the slight yellowing.  (probably would)  I've seen much worse examples go for a lot less than $50, but they could probably be made to look good again. 

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Jim S. on January 15, 2010, 05:29:39 PM
Quote from: bingster on January 15, 2010, 05:05:34 PM
All the colors for the new 1957 color lineup would have been available in soft plastic. They were black, ivory, moss green, red, pastel yellow, white, pink, light beige, light gray, and aqua.  All of those would have gone to hard plastic, but they all started out in soft.  There wasn't a revised color lineup until 1964, when turquoise was added (nothing was dropped for '64)

{No offense intended}
Is this Assumption, Theory, Experience or Fact?
I agree w/ the basic assumption, and easily the theory, but I am looking for collector Experiences or BSP Facts.There are some details that aren't BSP Facts, but are Facts due to collector experience in seeing an example. Pictures are always nice for "collector Facts". BSP references s are needed for BSP Facts.
The "collector" fact of the 1959 "soft beige"
makes the existence of the 1958 "Fact", However, we need confirmation of all colors. The rumor I heard rumours of were on regarding beige. The theory is that all of the "new" colors were soft, however, I still want , "soft" color confirmations. I can Confirm At least 2 runs of soft transparent 500's (Clear sets) {thru Experience}

JimS

Bingster,
Sorry for doubting, I did a bit of checking on Paul F's site and with Vern in Utah.
As you stated, all of the first 2 palettes were available in soft. I always assumed that the plastic switch happened around the color change. I stand corrected.

BTW Vern is looking for a soft 554 in lt. beige and an Ivory 1554. He has lots of soft sets for trade. 
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

McHeath

Well it went for $155, a good price methinks and the seller ought to be pleased. 

Doug Rose

Morning...you folks are educating me. If I had seen this at a flea market for over $20, I would have passed it by. You are teaching an old "Doug", new tricks.....
Kidphone

McHeath

The model 500, it's not just for breakfast anymore. :)

When I got into this hobby a couple of years ago I too was surprised at the prices being brought by certain model 500s, I figured they were just too new to be worth much.  Little did I know.  While a late model 500 in a normal color with modular cords and a number 9 dial is worth only a few bucks, the early soft plastic jobs can fetch way more than I ever would have guessed.  I've been looking for a lime green as of late to go with my orange, and they certainly go for a pretty penny as well.

bingster

By my reckoning, that result makes Dan the winner! Congratulations, Dan. 8)

Incidentally, this win puts Dan in a three-way tie for all-time contest wins.   Dan, McHeath and Dan/Panther each have four wins.
= DARRIN =

Dan

Wow, it helps to guess first, I guess. Dan/P, McHeath, and I are the Curly, Larry, and Moe of phone auction players!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

McHeath

I have four wins??? ???  Surprising given my near total lack of knowledge about old phones. 

Pure luck.