News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Contempra Found in an Abandon House

Started by WesternElectricBen, March 11, 2014, 06:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

I was watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-_TH_B3byU on YouTube, for some reason. If you watch through it you'l see those old harvest gold appliances, old walls, furniture, etc., but a treasure or two.

Notice, at about 7:00 or so minutes a contempra in a box.

Contempra

DavePEI

Took me a second viewing to see the Conrtempra, but finally found it in all its baby poop beige glory in the box! An interesting video - just like a time trip back to the past!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: DavePEI on March 11, 2014, 08:51:39 PM
Took me a second viewing to see the Conrtempra, but finally found it in all its baby poop beige glory in the box! An interesting video - just like a time trip back to the past!

Dave

I agree, nothing special, but worthy to note.

Especially that oven, with the dial back shape, and chrome, made it look kind of cool.

Ben

DavePEI

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 11, 2014, 08:59:31 PM
Especially that oven, with the dial back shape, and chrome, made it look kind of cool.

It is funny to see the difference of perspective all of us who lived through the 50's, 50's and 70's would have. To us, that stove was old, and dirty, but nothing special, as we grew up with  them. But I can sure see how you would be fascinated as your generation never scalded their arm reaching over a boiling pot to turn down the heat :) !

Still, it is nice to have a peek back to the items we considered normal back then. I would have loved to have a chance myself to peek through that housel. And then comes the mystery of what happened to its occupants. Did they pass away, or were they hospitalized - did they return to the Ukraine? What happened to make them simply walk away, Those are the questions I really want answered!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

dsk

It is a scientific reason for the non hanging handset.
In early versions of carbon transmitters, the granulate tended to be a lump (??) in the bottom of the chamber. If the transmitter was "stored" horizontally the granulate spread more, and did not need shaking.

dsk

Contempra

Hi Dave, How do you do for extracting the image from a video ??, I don,t know how to do and what program do you use ?. thanks

DavePEI

Quote from: Contempra on March 12, 2014, 09:36:14 AM
Hi Dave, How do you do for extracting the image from a video ??, I don,t know how to do and what program do you use ?. thanks
I use Windows 7 and use the built in snipping tool...

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Contempra

Quote from: DavePEI on March 12, 2014, 09:43:56 AM

Dave

lol dave,, the most part of us we use Windows 7 or 8. so my question was: what do you use a tool ( program ) :D

dsk

I have used snagit for years, its so simple to use.  :)

dsk

paul-f

Quote from: Contempra on March 12, 2014, 09:50:29 AM

Dave

lol dave,, the most part of us we use Windows 7 or 8. so my question was: what do you use a tool ( program ) :D

In most versions of Windows, the application Dave mentioned, "Snipping Tool," is found by looking under All Programs / Accessories.  Click on it and you'll be able to capture anything that's visible on your screen by dragging a box around it.

I use it often and have a shortcut on the tool bar.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: DavePEI on March 12, 2014, 08:21:29 AM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 11, 2014, 08:59:31 PM

It is funny to see the difference of perspective all of us who lived through the 50's, 50's and 70's would have. To us, that stove was old, and dirty, but nothing special, as we grew up with  them. But I can sure see how you would be fascinated as your generation never scalded their arm reaching over a boiling pot to turn down the heat :) !

Still, it is nice to have a peek back to the items we considered normal back then. I would have loved to have a chance myself to peek through that housel. And then comes the mystery of what happened to its occupants. Did they pass away, or were they hospitalized - did they return to the Ukraine? What happened to make them simply walk away, Those are the questions I really want answered!

Dave

Dave, I agree with you, it's not the most interesting, but the styling is much different, these days.

The YouTuber that posted this lives in Canada, near Toronto, though.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Contempra on March 12, 2014, 11:14:08 AM
thank you guys

Usually I just use the print screen button on my keyboard, then ctr. copy, then paste and crop in paint.

Ben

DavePEI

Quote from: Contempra on March 12, 2014, 09:50:29 AM

Dave

It is part of the Windows 7 and 8 operating system and comes with Windows...

See: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/products/features/snipping-tool

and you will find it under Start > All Programs > Accessories > Snipping Tool
It is a program but comes as part of the o/s.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001