News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What's worth more, 4 line 440 or 3 line 410 w/ hold?

Started by WesternElectricBen, June 18, 2014, 10:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: paul-f on June 20, 2014, 04:23:41 PM
David,

I love it when you talk BSP.

I am looking for a copy of BSP  C53.152 Issue 5 or there abouts... and earlier, no later than 1948 or so. The earliest I have is Issue 7, I believe.

Babybearjs

oops... did I say EC?? I meant EG.... of the phone is METAL and has SOLID brown buttons, then there are no lights and no lights can be added... study the inside design of the 44EG (has lights) and see how they designed the shell to accommodate the light strip....the metal series never had lights, or so that's what I've discovered... I had a 440C and it was just a simple 4 line phone.... the 444 series was always made in thermoplastic... I am pretty sure the reason was the grounding problem a metal phone can pose virus a plastic phone.....
John

WesternElectricBen

Thanks David,

I think I will convert the 3 line over to a dial config.

Ben

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on June 20, 2014, 04:52:00 PM
Quote from: paul-f on June 20, 2014, 04:23:41 PM
David,

I love it when you talk BSP.

I am looking for a copy of BSP  C53.152 Issue 5 or there abouts... and earlier, no later than 1948 or so. The earliest I have is Issue 7, I believe.

Key Telephone Systems 1A
Supplies
Issue 1, 2-10-39
Issue 5, 5-28-48

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Quote from: Babybearjs on June 20, 2014, 05:41:12 PM
oops... did I say EC?? I meant EG.... of the phone is METAL and has SOLID brown buttons, then there are no lights and no lights can be added... study the inside design of the 44EG (has lights) and see how they designed the shell to accommodate the light strip....the metal series never had lights, or so that's what I've discovered... I had a 440C and it was just a simple 4 line phone.... the 444 series was always made in thermoplastic... I am pretty sure the reason was the grounding problem a metal phone can pose virus a plastic phone.....

Thermoplastic 302s, 44x and 46x sets didn't appear until 1941. Yet 6A KTU (for busy lamps) and 9A KTU (for line lamps) were already being discussed in 1939 (C53.152 Issue 1). So if the metal 44x and 46x sets didn't have lamps, the lamps must have been mounted externally.

The lamps installed later inside phones are "combined line/busy lamps." 100A Key, which preceded 1A, used single line phones with an adjunct wood box containing the keys and lamps. It had two lamps for each line: the "line" lamp indicated an incoming call, and the "busy" lamp indicated a line in use or on hold. Yet Issue 1  also refers to "line lamps" (9A) and "busy lamps (6A KTU) as if they were still separate for 1A Key.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Hi, I thought I'd mention I've actually gone with Paul's advice, and I first restored the 1947 440 (4 line.) Which came out very nicely. You can see a video presentation about it here: http://tinyurl.com/1947-4-Line. (No pic)

But, the topic for today is the 1954 Manual 3 line w/ hold 440 set. Currently, I have it restored beautifully with only a cloth handset cord and line. (Pic 1) But, I purchased a cheep 302 set, with a good f1 handset which I will use on it. Also, I can use the cord set for another project. The eBay listing link: http://tinyurl.com/302-Loaner-Phone. (Pic 2) So, once it arrives, I will buff up the handset nicely and get it all together and working. As, it is unique being a manual 1a1 phone.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

I got it all finished today, it came out great. I used the same procedure that I used to buff the casing, with the handset. I hopefully matched the two finishes together. I believe the handset was a 52-53, so that is pretty close in date, although not right.

It's really amazing I was just going to disregard this phone, right now I feel it to be one of my new favorites. The cloth cords are new, although the parts phone I got the handset from, had a nice set, which will be reused. It now sits in our entry hall, and blends in well with our decor.

I added a larger junction box, which I believe would be used in this application, (originally with the many conductor cable.)

You can view a video presentation of it here: http://youtu.be/NVJ7WDtgQaY

Ben

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

WesternElectricBen

Hi Bill,

Once I got it, I wiped it down with goo-gone for sanitation. Then, I used Novus to remove all of the scratches, (not buff.) After that, I ran out to the bench grinder, and ran my fine (red) rouge through the wheel. Then, I buffed the phone, starting from the lower speed, getting up to nearly 3/4 of the way to the top. (I believe it tops out at 2000 RPM, not sure though.) After a while of buffing, constantly moving the handset in circles I went back inside. Once inside, I used this Avon skin so soft, (Ben phones so shiny :) lol) and gave it a once over with a rag.

And then.. Voila.

Ben