News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My latest arrival: 1931 D1 mount with E1 handset

Started by deedubya3800, June 08, 2011, 06:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedubya3800

This little beauty just came UPS this afternoon right before I was leaving for work, much to my four-year-old daughter's excitement, so I had to take it with me and look at it on break.

But anyway, here it is, a 1931 D1 mount that was apparently refurbed in about 1941 or so as some of its parts (including the 5H dial and F1 transmitter element) are dated 1940 or 1941. (By the way, this is the LOUDEST 5-type dial I've ever heard!) The handset itself may be original as it is seamless, save for the transmitter cap, which likely arrived in '41 also, but I haven't been able to get the receiver cap off yet to see if there's a date in it.

Somebody decided to steal the cords (AND the screws in the handset that the cord attaches to!) so I've borrowed the only cord I had handy so I could test it to make sure it works. It does. I have it connected through a 4228 network, but I haven't managed to get the P3A ringer to work right yet. Any suggestions?

Also, the 150B dial plate, dated I 52, is in very good condition save for some light blackish overspray. Any suggestions on trying to get that off without damaging the paint?

I certainly don't like the coiled handset cord I'm using at the moment. It looks stupid on this model. I'm going to be ordering replacements soon. I'd like to get ones similar to what might have been installed had the cords been replaced in 1941, but I almost certainly want cloth. Any suggestions?

I'll be polishing her up later this week and then I'll have to decide what to do with her. She's not really a good show phone, and wouldn't be without a lot of work, but she's almost too good to use on a regular basis. I wish I had a second office or something so I could put her on the desk there. Any suggestions?

Sargeguy

Quoteshe's almost too good to use on a regular basis.

No it's not!!!  I used a D-1 for years as my #1 phone.  Only retired when replaced by a B-1 Put some OPW cords on there and you're in business
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Tom B

That's a nice phone. I think I'll be looking for one of these beauties in the near future.
Tom

Sargeguy

Quote from: Tom B on June 08, 2011, 04:04:39 PM
That's a nice phone. I think I'll be looking for one of these beauties in the near future.

PM me-we can make it happen. 

I also have manual sets!!!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Tom B

Sargeguy
I will PM you when I'm ready to get one of those lovelies ;) Thanks!
Tom

deedubya3800

My HOT cords and AE transmission unit came in from OPW yesterday. I got to work right away and didn't give up until I'd hooked everything up and got it all working. It sounds so perfect, too—both ways!

But anyway, here are the pics:

bingster

Well done, DW.  If the receiver is in good shape, they sound much better than people would assume. 
= DARRIN =

deedubya3800

It is. Both physically and electrically. Oh, and I did get it off; the handle is dated 10 34. I have to thank Doug for sending me some screws to put in the handset since, like I said, whoever took the cords took those as well! Fortunately, all the screws in the base are captive or they might have taken them, too! And they left the original dial-to-switchhook jumpers so I didn't have to replace them either.

The handset handle shows some usage wear, but it's not bad, and I can't find a single chip or crack anywhere on it. There's not even a detracting scratch. There are a few places in the paint on the body, but it's still in such good condition I'm not doing anything to it. Even the ears have most of their paint. And the suede on the baseplate is nearly perfect, and was never supplemented with friction pads. It just needs a mild cleaning.

I took it with me this weekend and showed it to my aunt and uncle, and they want one just like it when they get moved into their new house. I told them I'd be glad to hook them up!

Doug Rose

DW ....glad I could help out. Your phone turned out fantastic.....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

deedubya3800

Thank you! I was gonna put off buying a D1 till sometime next year, but when I saw this one, I just had to have it! To me, it looks better than several of the D1s that have sold for more recently. The condition of the handset, paint, and the suede on the base is what sold it to me. Even having to add cords didn't bother me. So few of the ones with cords actually have decent-looking cords. I'm told it belonged to someone who worked for the railroad in Oiho.

deedubya3800

Oh, no! :o My D1 seems to have spawned a clone! :o What have I done?!?! My collection is getting out of control!!!! :o What do I do now?!?! :o

Nah, just kidding! ;D I took it down to my aunt and uncle's a couple of weeks ago, and they fell so in love with it they wanted one just like it, so I asked them their budget and went out and found it. This one is virtually identical to mine, except that it's a touch shinier, has a grooved handset handle, a lighter shade of suede, and the straighter fingerstop.

I've noticed that the receiver cap says "WESTERN ELECTRIC COMPANY MADE IN U S A 557 B" where mine says "PROPERTY OF AMERICAN TEL & TEL CO 557". What's the difference? I've also noticed that the back lower edge of the mount makes no mention of Western Electric or any patent numbers. There are no markings on it at all except for "D1" below the neck.

The receiver cap has the exact same date as my handle: "10 34" It's even the exact same font and color. This mount housing is dated IV 36 and the dates on other parts vary widely, as do mine.

Pictured below are mine (on the left) and theirs (on the right), which is waiting on cords and a subset (both are on the way). Also pictured is the reproduction dial card I made for them. Part of the number is blurred out because it's their actual home number.