ringing generator

Started by jarwulf, January 07, 2014, 12:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Quote from: poplar1 on January 21, 2014, 09:05:21 AM
Quote from: unbeldi on January 21, 2014, 01:33:17 AM
Quote from: jarwulf on January 21, 2014, 12:33:25 AM
thanks for the help so far

The P1A ringer itself has four wires black red and 2 grays. They connect to a series of resistors with the black and red on the outside of the series with teh grays in between the resistors. From what I read the two grays go out to connect to a capacitor. Do I have have to worry about these two wires or can I just use the black and red when connecting up the bell? I also want to make sure the ringer does not get excessively high current, as far below 500mA as possible. The stuff I'm connecting might get damaged if too much juice is taken from it.

500mA?  I doubt it.  What is your ringing voltage?  Are you using the PowerDsine ringing generator?  If so, the voltage is say 80VAC, impedance is going to be around 7000 ohms (about 1 REN), so your ringing current should be a little over 0.01 A.   If you are connecting the ringer directly to the ring generator and not via a telephone loop with tip/ring talk battery, then you don't need the capacitor and can just short the two inner gray wires directly.
What stuff are you connecting where?

The "two grays" or "two inner gray wires" are actually "slate" (S) and "slate-red" (S-R). Shorting them together would reduce the resistance from 5200 Ohms to 3550--unbeldi, is that what you intended to do? (The above diagram omits the value between R (red) and S-R, which is approx. 2550 ohms.)

S and S-R seem to be a confusing choice of colors since except for Tip Party ID on 2MR or 2MB lines, they are connected to A and K on C4A ringers (500 sets, etc.)  but are insulated and stored on M1A (Princess), N1A (1554) and P1A ringers (Trimline, decorator sets, 2554s).

Could you please learn me the difference between Slate and Gray. Trying to translate to Norwegian, I get the name of a stone typical buit in layers who may wary from brownish to grey and blackish. This type of stone ar used to cover houses, roofs, or to walk on when making a nice track in the garden. 

dsk

poplar1

"Slate" was perhaps chosen instead of "Gray" to avoid confusion because there was already a color designated as "G"---green.

You are correct that "slate" is a stone used for footpaths and for roofs.

Wikipedia has a definition of "slate gray" color:

Slate gray is a gray color with a slight azure tinge that is a representation of the average color of the material slate.
The first recorded use of slate gray as a color name in English was in 1705.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on January 21, 2014, 09:05:21 AM

The "two grays" or "two inner gray wires" are actually "slate" (S) and "slate-red" (S-R). Shorting them together would reduce the resistance from 5200 Ohms to 3550--unbeldi, is that what you intended to do? (The above diagram omits the value between R (red) and S-R, which is approx. 2550 ohms.)

No, I just repeated the use of the colors while suspecting they are probably different, and didn't recall the exact wiring of a P1A. I assumed he had a capacitor somewhere though. I had no idea exactly whether there is even a phone involved.  My only point was that if he is using the ring generator directly with a ringer, no capacitor is needed.

dsk

I have used one of those generators to "drive" my "door bell", and this circuit did not work well without a capacitor in series with the old ringer.

dsk