"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg 925 wiring diagram

Started by wds, January 25, 2014, 09:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Quote from: wds on January 26, 2014, 09:56:42 AM
B925 BAX.  I traced the wiring yesterday, the the wires off the coil aren't wired the same as the diagram.  The wiring seems all original and not messed with.  I'll write down how it's wiring now, and then wire it according to the diagram and see what happens. 

Now that I see your photos and diagram, I don't think the 21236 diagram will help.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

G-Man

Here are the Signal Corps designations:
Kellogg Switchboard & Supply Co. No. ... Kellogg No. 925BAX ......................... Telephone TA_
925BAX.

G-Man

No. 925-BAX Common Battery

This complete, self-contained set for use on single party lines or for code ringing service may be used with kick coil service. It is wired for TRIAD circuit.

Biased Ringer 116-C
Induction Coil 106-A
Condenser 203
Interior Conn. Rack 58728
Base Cord F-665-D
Connecting  Block 24-A
Plunger Switch Plate Assembly 62391

poplar1

The 925BAX is in Kellogg's 1941 Catalog #100, page 56, but there is no wiring diagram there.

925BAX contains 116-G ringer, 106-A induction coil, 203 condenser, 58729 internal connecting rack, and 62391 plunger switch plate assembly.

The 106A 3-winding induction coil has 4 soldered connections + 2 screw terminals.
"Furnished with two screw terminals to obtain greater side tone reduction where required. May be used in telephones used for kick coil service."

The 3-winding 203 Condenser may be used for "kick coil" service.

http://www.strombergcarlsontelephone.com/kellogg/kellogg_main.htm
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

Coil #1 - L1
Coil #5-3 - RD Hookswitch
Coil #2 - GN Terminal Strip
Coil #4 - C3
Coil #6 - Condensor #1

Condensor #1 - Coil #6
Condensor #2 - C3
Condensor #3 - C1
Condensor #4 - RD hookswitch
Condensor #5 - Y hookswitch
Condensor #6 - GN hookswitch
Dave

G-Man

See if this diagram matches your drawing, less dial of course.

wds

`Something else I found is the 5-3 terminal on the coil does not put out any voltage.  I assumed this would be + as it goes to the RD terminal, but could this be ground?  Only Terminal #2 on the coil puts out + voltage.
Dave

wds

with the exception of #5-3 on the coil, yes.  My phone is wired #5-3 to RD on the hookswitch. 
Dave

G-Man

Quote from: wds on January 26, 2014, 10:56:30 AM
with the exception of #5-3 on the coil, yes.  My phone is wired #5-3 to RD on the hookswitch. 

Have you tried wiring it to this diagram to see if it resolves your problem?

dsk

I guess you have it now, here are a modified circuit, (Dial removed)
I guess your drawing of the capacitor are right.

dsk

wds

Hallelujah!  It works.  Thanks everyone for your help.  I will save that drawing as I have another one of these I need to work on.  What started this whole mess was when I got this phone the handset cord had been cut in half, so I found another original cord to take it's place.  When I wired it up just like the last cord, nothing worked.  I'm guessing now that the previous owner couldn't get the handset to work so his solution was to cut the cord.  Now the task of putting the phone back to together.
Dave

wds

Here's a pic. of the little rascal.
Dave

dsk

;D  Congratulations
A really nice one to!

dsk

Doug Rose

The King of Deco phones! This is superb. One of the hardest phones to find without chips cracks or missing pieces. Bakelite is WAT too thin. I love the manuals..... great phone Dave....Doug
Kidphone