News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Do you have any Old Phones?? You know Rotary Phones!

Started by Doug Rose, October 08, 2011, 03:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I ask at every yard sale. Strange looks, what do you want them for? Sure...A battered 500 set. Sometimes you bite the bear. I have one in my attic, it's in a box. Its heavy. I think its a payphone. I think its new!

I think it was refurbed, but a startling blank AE Payphone in like new condition. Working, rings and dials out in a box Capitol Telephone Supply Newport RI.

How much do you want for it. Long pause......$30? Will you take $25. Sure. Can't let them think that they sold it too low. Everybodys is happy. Thanks for reminding me, its beeen up there for years.
Seven hours of yard sales today starting at 7:00. Four phones today and an Atwater Kent Console Floor Radio! Sometimes you bite the bear!!!

Doug

Kidphone

gpo706

That's absolutely unbelievable!

Show you what's out there...
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

AE_Collector

These were refurbed by that company for sale to the public as a working phone. This company must have put a ton of them out there. They always used the instruction card that listed the phone number as "AREA 151" (fictitious area code). I have seen many of them on ebaY with that card. Nice find getting an unused one in the box!

Terry

Doug Rose

Quote from: AE_collector on October 08, 2011, 04:07:37 PM
These were refurbed by that company for sale to the public as a working phone. This company must have put a ton of them out there. They always used the instruction card that listed the phone number as "AREA 151" (fictitious area code). I have seen many of them on ebaY with that card. Nice find getting an unused one in the box!

Terry
Thanks Terry...sort of what I thought, no keys but a really outstanding looking payphone. Did you notice the Newport RI number has a 617 area code? 617 was all of Eastern Mass, I didn't realize part of RI were included. You have heard of Capitol Telephone supply before?...thanks for the info....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 08, 2011, 04:11:42 PM
Did you notice the Newport RI number has a 617 area code? 617 was all of Eastern Mass, I didn't realize part of RI were included. You have heard of Capitol Telephone supply before?...thanks for the info....Doug

I didn't specifically notice the 617 Area Code on the box but DID notice a Telex Number on the box! Area Codes virtually never crossed State or Provincial borders though there are/were exceptions - Canadian NWT initially part of Alberta 403 and PEI part of Nova Scotia (got that correct didn't I Dave? And is it still a shared Area Code there?). So I wonder if Capitol Telephone Supply had its plant in one State and offices in another?

I have only noticed the 151 cards and there was a discussion on either the ATCA or TCI list many years ago about them. I don't recall the name "Capitol Telephone Supply" specifically.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on October 08, 2011, 04:27:22 PM
PEI part of Nova Scotia (got that correct didn't I Dave? And is it still a shared Area Code there?)
Terry

Yep!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Quote from: DavePEI on October 08, 2011, 04:28:45 PM
Yep!

Dave

I wonder if they have talked about giving PEI its own area code in recent years? They did give Yukon/NWT/Nunavit its own code once more codes became available.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on October 08, 2011, 04:36:39 PM
Quote from: DavePEI on October 08, 2011, 04:28:45 PM
Yep!

Dave

I wonder if they have talked about giving PEI its own area code in recent years? They did give Yukon/NWT/Nunavit its own code once more codes became available.

Terry

Never heard anything discussed about it...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Tom B

Doug
$25? You did something right in a former life for sure ;D
Tom

bigdaddylove

I'm hella jelly!

Every Friday night for the last three years I say to my wife we'll go garage sale-ing in the morning. We hardly ever make it out in time. I really think I need to be more proactive.

Congrats on a great find!

Doug Rose

Quote from: Tom B on October 08, 2011, 05:39:27 PM
Doug
$25? You did something right in a former life for sure ;D
Tom...good clean living...nah....just really lucky...right place, right time.....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 08, 2011, 03:21:39 PM
I ask at every yard sale. Strange looks, what do you want them for? Sure...A battered 500 set. Sometimes you bite the bear. I have one in my attic, it's in a box. Its heavy. I think its a payphone. I think its new!

I think it was refurbed, but a startling blank AE Payphone in like new condition. Working, rings and dials out in a box Capitol Telephone Supply Newport RI.

How much do you want for it. Long pause......$30? Will you take $25. Sure. Can't let them think that they sold it too low. Everybodys is happy. Thanks for reminding me, its beeen up there for years.
Seven hours of yard sales today starting at 7:00. Four phones today and an Atwater Kent Console Floor Radio! Sometimes you bite the bear!!!

Doug

Nice find!  I don't have much problem getting the gf to go with me to yard sales.  How do you plan yours out?  Do you look them up online or in the paper, or do you simply drive around various neighborhoods on weekends with good weather?  In the course of my work driving a bus in nearby neighborhoods, I know which ones are good for yard sales, and we often just follow the bus route.  It's a little tough because I work weekends, but when I was working swing hours, we made some time to do that for a few hours before work.  I even hit one I saw on my way to take over for another driver on the road.  Did the same as you, asked for phones, he had some out in his barn. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Janet goes on Craigs List Friday and choreographs Saturday's Yard sales. The Garmin is a life saver and is a MUST for the serious yard saler!!! We also check the local newspapers as well, but where the newspaper's ads are so expensive, most use CL now. We are out of the house at 7AM to hit the early ones. Usually at least 6 hours on a day like yesterday. Its getting near then end of yard sale season, so everyone is cramming them in while the weather is good. We hit as many as we can as you never know who has that beauty waiting for you. Last yard sale yesterday at close to 2PM we found a dated 61 beige 500 set with an open face finger wheel and a COMPLETE WE 444 Metal 3 line phone. Both for the outrageous price of $1 a piece. These were by passed all day long! Just waiting for me to take them and find a good home for them. It's a lot work time and effort. Yesterday was a well above average day for us.....Doug
Kidphone