News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1972 2500

Started by Kenny C, October 10, 2011, 08:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

Saturday we went to the same yard sales that we go to every year. These are the same yardsales where I found the 1937 302.

This year I found something a little newer. An all matching dates (except the transmitter and reciever) yellow, hard-wired 2500. It is in great shape with no deep scratches. The face plate is the early back painted type.

The woman wanted 5.00 I said "Will you take 3.00?" she agreed and I walked away with a pretty nice phone.

Does anyone have any idea what this phone may be worth?

Here are some pictures.

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

more...
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

a few more
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

jsowers

Kenny, that's a very good price for that 2500D and you have a nice-looking example there. I remember finding one for $1 at a yard sale once, but that was before you were born! It was about 1983, I think. It had a ripped-out handset cord, but it was otherwise OK. It was one of the first phones in my collection. I like the contrasting ribbed faceplates on these phones a lot. They're translucent looking, like frosted glass.

If eBay is any measure of value, there is one on there a seller is asking $60 for. In completed auctions, I don't see one that's hard-wired that sold recently. A modular yellow one fetched $14. I'd say a hard-wired one was worth maybe twice that.

They seem to be fairly rare phones, if you go by how often they appear up for bids. I see lots more hard-wired 500s than 2500s, and I'm talking WE and not other varieties. Touch-tone didn't catch on in some parts until the late 1970s or early 1980s. And I suspect a lot of these phones went back to be refurbished and became modular phones. So they're a little uncommon. Many may still be in use in 1970s houses all over the US.
Jonathan

bigdaddylove

daaaaaaang, that is exactly what I've been looking for!

great find!

cihensley@aol.com

Nice purchase Kenny.

Chuck

Kenny C

Thanks guys. If anyone wants it make me an offer. I am holding out for a black HW 2500.

I need some parts

2 AE dials and an AE 38 handset

I would trade it for a decent un restored 302, Black 510(pre 1964 dated base), or 701 B (any color) or LMK what you have and maybe we could work something out.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

GG

Notice the unusual crimp around the transmitter's center contact.  That was the location through which the carbon granules were inserted.  So I'm thinking that your transmitter was reconditioned down to the level of replacing burned carbon with new carbon, and a new contact was crimped on, producing the unusual pattern you see there.  Highly impressive that they took it all the way to that level, to keep reusing old components.

AE_Collector

Our shops (BC Telephone) used to recarbon AE transmitter capsules at some point in time. I have occasionally encountered one where you can see that a small hole was drilled and plugged in the back of the capsule. Now the phone phone gets tossed if it doesn't work properly or in some cases, the whole phone system gets tossed!

Terry

pa_bell1960

Kenny, Nice buy on that 2500. I have one for sale on Ebay right now from 74 and all the dates match. I also have a black hardwired 2500 WE that is sort of a Frankenphone, All the dates match except for the bakelite G1 handset on it. It came with it on there. It is from 11-70, a few scratches and dings but works great, I`ll take $25.00 plus $11.00 priority shipping if you are interested.   Jim
Western Electric Telephones and Zenith Radios, These are a few of my favorite things!!!   Jim

bigdaddylove

it's in its new home now beautifully blending in with my yellow formica counter tops and harvest gold double oven!