News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mottled Brown/Gold AE 40 on eBay 290398638211

Started by Doug Rose, February 08, 2010, 11:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

What do you make of this phone? I have never seen one like it. Pictures are poor, but this could be the real deal....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

It is interesting.  I don't know about all of the colors available but it looks original.  That photo of the inside of the cap tells a story.  Most painted sets don't get that detailed.  The handset cord looks original too.  It was nice of someone (who probably knows) to offer the seller $125 for the phone....since if it is original it's going to bring big bucks.

JorgeAmely

I think someone tampered with the set because the lift should be gold plated also. The cap rings seem odd, since they are supposed to have four ridges around. That is not too clear in the pictures. There is always a possibility that in very early sets there were no ridges. Gary Goff or Doug could answer this one.

Since it doesn't seem to be available in old catalogs, maybe it was a "special occasion" set given to someone for retirement or other circumstances.

The seller has a 7 day return policy in place, which is good for sets that don't photograph well.
Jorge

Doug Rose

I agree....something doesn't look correct about this phone. I would have to have it in my hand before risking money on this. My guess is it goes high, we'll find out soon....Doug
Kidphone

JorgeAmely

I forgot to mention that the finger stop is supposed to be plated with 24K Satin gold. This one seems chromed. If buffed so much to the point where the gold plating is gone, then the areas adjacent to the stop, around the finger wheel would look also shiny, which is not the case here.

Jorge

bingster

According to the information I have, the 40 was available in two browns: mahogany and walnut.  Mahogany had a reddish tint to it and had full gold trim; walnut was a more standard brown and had full chromium trim.  This one doesn't appear to be either.  Very interesting, and very strange.  Looks like it went for $575.
= DARRIN =