News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SH Couch North Quincy MA

Started by Doug Rose, April 22, 2012, 07:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I took a gamble on a phone on eBay a couple of weeks ago with a low buy it now. Rainy day in the the Northeast, so I finished this just before the Bruins game. I am happy with way both turned out.  Always nice to find a local phone, although I had no idea when I purchased it.....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360448832189
Kidphone

RotarDad

Great job Doug!  I've never seen of those before, but I do really like the look.  Please add some facts about this phone!!  Paul
Paul

Doug Rose

Paul...these were one of the first phones that combined the receiver and the mouthpiece into the hand held handset. I have a Kellogg grab-a-phone and a Federal that looks like the Kellogg as they shared manufacturers. This used candlestick parts with a short stem and a cradle.

This is a SH Couch from North Quincy MA (just outside of Boston). The base was rusted and the handset painted a garish gold! Stripper...steel wool....noxon and a wire brush on a drill and the base came out great. The base metal is now very shiny, a brass short stem and a shiny metal cradle with brass parts. Better than the pictures show. There was no bottom so I jury rigged a WE stick cover.

The handset was a challenge to say the least. The paint was thick and was a (expletive deleted) to get off. Overall, I am quite happy with it. I didn't know Couch made one like this. Always looking to get different phones from the local companies.

I am no way an expert on these phones, so if anyone has any other information or corrections, feel free to edit me.....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I saw this phone and considered buying it (I like cheap), but I was afraid that the paint removal would be a pain.  I am glad that it found a happy home.

Larry

wds

Yes, that one is a keeper.  I have been looking to add one of those to my collection.
Dave

RotarDad

Really nice work Doug.  With the nasty paint, dirt and ugly cords, it really looked beyond help in the "before" photo.  I really like the look of the vintage metals - I'm sure the phone will display very nicely.   Thanks for the background info!  Paul
Paul

twocvbloke

In my half-asleep state (been a busy day), I though the title says "Quincy ME".... :o

(you know, the forensic medical examiner who solved murders? :D )