News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dishwasher Pix for Bwanna & Hobie

Started by rp2813, January 05, 2010, 07:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

My small kitchen appliances (toaster, Osterizer, and a rotisserie/broiler that I'm about to set up) are all from the mid 1950s and all look and run like new. The rotisserie has actually never been used, just tested. I got it for fifty bucks on Ebay. I'll post pics of my whole 1950s Roadmaster trailer kitchen cabinets and appliances fairly soon. I'm almost done setting it all up. :)
-Matt

rp2813

Hobie, I definitely want to see pix of the rotisserie.  I still have the 1955 Roto-Broil Custom 400 that my parents owned, and used it just this week on a whole chicken.  I also have the thick paperback "Mr. & Mrs. Roto-Broil" recipe/use and care book that came with it.  Ever since I was a kid, I have loved rotisserie chicken out of this device.  It was abandoned and sat outside for a while but years ago I rescued it and gave it a paint job.  Utlimately I'd like to find one in better shape, but for now this one works fine and gets a chicken done in about 75 minutes.  Except for the trussing, which I'm horrible at, cooking a chicken on one of these is a cinch.  I recently did a 6-pound free range chicken on it for some friends and now they want to find one of these rotisseries for themselves.  Unlike the ubiquitous Faberware "open hearth" types, these older units have temperature controls that make for a better finished product, and have the heating element up top instead of below, which all but eliminates spattering.

Ralph
Ralph

ntophones

Our kitchen has a Caloric gas cooktop from 1964 that I absolutely love. I think it looks great. The oven is a Hotpoint. I'll admit the oven doesn't cook cookies well (it burns them on the bottom. But, I now put parchment paper under them.), and the timed bake and clock don't work, but, for a 46 year old oven, I love it! These two pieces are stainless and timeless, imo. Unfortunately, the dishwasher and fridge didn't last. :(, so, now I'm into the lasting a few years and kaput.....
--nto

HobieSport

Quote from: rp2813
Hobie, I definitely want to see pix of the rotisserie.
Ralph

Hey Ralph, thanks to your curiosity, I was inspired just now to finally unpackage my 50's Nesco rotisserie. I'll post some pictures, but right now I just unwrapped it and the seller had stuck clear packaging tape all over the glass door and chrome/stainless steel top, so that the door wouldn't flop around in transit. Nice thought of them, but after carefully peeling off all the darn tape, the tape residue is still all over, and I want to clean it up before taking pictures.

Does anyone know how to remove the "sticky" from clear packaging tape?  Something that works but is not too potent? I can't use the machine of course until all the tape residue in cleaned off, and it isn't looking photogenic now with all the gunk on it. :P

But it's an exiting machine. One handle is broken but can be glued easily. The only slight pitting in the chrome is on the bottom, so it's unseen. It does really look like it's never been used, but that it's been kicking around someones place for decades. Overall I'm very pleased, and can't wait to try it on a free range chicken.
-Matt

jsowers

Denatured alcohol or turpentine would work fine to remove tape goo. However, the alcohol reacts with soft plastic and melts it. So if you happen to have any of that since it is a 50s product, proceed with caution. Test it on a hidden place first if you can. It probably has Bakelite and that's a lot more impervious to solvent damage.
Jonathan

bwanna

goo gone or wd40 to remove your sticky residue, hobie.  i am very excited for you to get your trailer all set up :) please post photos!
donna

rp2813

Yeah Matt, you should be safe with Goo-Gone or one of those types of products since you'll be working on unpainted parts of the exterior.

You'll have fun with your Nesco once it's ready to go.  My Roto-Broil makes quite the claim of versatility with:  Barbecues, Bakes, Broils, Roasts, Grills, Fries, Boils, Toasts.  I'm guessing not all at once :-)

Ralph
Ralph

HobieSport

Here is a rough preview picture of "Nessie"; my Nesco Rotisserie-Oven-Thingy.
-Matt

rp2813

Matt, that Nesco was clearly manufactured by the same outfit that made my Roto-Broil.  I think yours is newer, but it's basically the same design and system.  You are going to love the way a bird will "turn out" on yours.

Also, since the Nesco is in such great shape, I know you want to keep it that way.  I was given a tip for cleaning the interior if there is anything that won't come off with soap and water.  Put some ammonia in a cup or small bowl and set it inside the cavity.  Fill all gaps around the door and in the slot for the spit with loosely wadded up plastic wrap to keep fumes from escaping.  Don't use tape--you won't be pleased by what the ammonia fumes do to the adhesive.  Leave it like that over night or longer if you want, and the fumes should loosen up whatever has cooked onto the walls.  You don't want to use oven cleaner spray in there.  I line the drip pan on mine with foil for easy clean-up.

Ralph
Ralph

bwanna

ooo-lala ;)

be careful not to inhale the fumes when you open that baby up after the ammonia soak :o
donna

HobieSport

Thanks for the tips, Ralph, and I know I will really enjoy using the very versatile Nesco. It's too big (awkward) for my trailer, but I'm building a long covered front porch this summer with an indoor/outdoor kitchen as part of the porch, and "Nessie" will work there perfectly.

And don't worry, Donna, I know about ammonia fumes, and I'll be out in the open air on the porch, and would still wear an appropriate respirator filter whenever working with ammonia.

But it's surprising how few people know that mixing basic household ammonia and Clorox makes chlorine gas. WW1 anyone? :P
-Matt

rp2813

Oh yeah, ventilation is key with the ammonia routine. 

Matt, the old Roto-Broil was cast away and sat outside for a couple of years and even got rained on before I rescued it.  All I did was clean it up and spray a little WD-40 at a couple of spots in the motor housing and it was good to go.  It's not as pretty to look at as Nessie but it works great.   So take it from me, the Nesco can handle your outdoor kitchen environment just fine.

When you fire her up and put something on for a spin, feel free to snap some more pix for us!  I'm sure your booklet has instructions for a whole chicken.  My "Mr. & Mrs. Roto-Broil" recipe book calls for 30 minutes at "Medium" heat, 30 more at "High" heat, then 15-20 at "Medium" until proper internal temp is reached.  Perfect every time.  I'm curious to know if the Nesco cooking times and heat settings for a whole chicken are the same.

Ralph
Ralph

HobieSport

Quote from: rp2813
I'm sure your booklet has instructions for a whole chicken.  My "Mr. & Mrs. Roto-Broil" recipe book calls for 30 minutes at "Medium" heat, 30 more at "High" heat, then 15-20 at "Medium" until proper internal temp is reached.  Perfect every time.  I'm curious to know if the Nesco cooking times and heat settings for a whole chicken are the same.
Ralph

According to the instruction and recipe booklet that came with my Nesco "Gourmet Rotisserie-Oven", cooking temperatures and times on the rotisserie for a 2.5 pound chicken are "medium" at 1.25 hours, so it's sounds similar to your Roto-Broil.

Since I don't have my kitchen cooking vent fan hooked up in my trailer yet, I think I'll just wait until we get some good weather here and set the rotisserie up outside for a day, and try a chicken.

I'm missing one of the four-pronged rotisserie skewers though, so I'll have to get one of those first. I imagine that they are the similar on modern rotisseries. I need one for a square (not hexagonal) spit.

You know what I'd really like to try on the rotisserie? A nice plump Pekin duck! I don't remember ever having duck in my life.  But duck has to be special-ordered at our grocer's, so it could be pricey. I keep Runner ducks as pets and for the eggs, but I'm tempted to get some Pekin ducks this spring. Pekins are ready to butcher after only 51 days from hatching. A local butcher will do the dirty work in trade for some of the meat.

-Matt
-Matt

rp2813

I've thought about duck too.  I think the rotisserie would be a great method.  Interesting that your recipe calls for a chicken of only 2.5 pounds.  My book has a recipe for a 4 to 5 pound capon, which is what I use since most whole chickens weigh in right around there.

You probably don't have to worry about venting.  There's no smoke involved.  Just the great aroma of rotisserie chicken.  When the time comes and you decide to try your machine out, you'll be hooked.  If I had a place to keep mine handy, I'd be using it a lot more often. 

I know what you mean about the 4-sided spit.  You might have a bit of a search on your hands for that skewer.
Ralph

McHeath

Not a duck fan, tastes funny to me.  When I was a kid we had ducks and of course ate them, dad ate everything from frogs he'd catch at the river to the all the various livestock we owned.  Kinda greasy meat, duck, which is why I've never thought that curious blend of the "Turducken" sounds good.