News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Sunny Southern California?!

Started by Dave F, January 14, 2013, 01:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

It was 24 degrees here in Central Calif yesterday morning, that's pretty rare here.  I can not recall it ever so cold before, usually if we get to the upper 20's we are hitting a record.

However, I went to see my son for Christmas in Montana.  It was -26 the day I arrived.  Yikes!  I'd never been in cold like that.  Funny thing happened, during the week I was there it slowly got warmer until it was 17 degree my last day there.  That seemed warm. Ha.

AE_Collector

On February 29th 1984 (leap day) I was sent to Tuctoyaktuk NWT Canada to work on an SL1 PABX. It was -34C which apparently is very close to -34F as well. The two scales come together around this temperature. The buildings were all on stilts so they wouldn't melt through the permafrost. Looking out the window at night time I could have just as easily been on the moon. Everything was white. Flashing lights of a runway almost to the door of the work camp building etc. There was an "Ice road" that we drove over from one side of town to the other, crossing a large bay. We drove past small freighters frozen into the bay right where they had dropped anchor months earlier.

In late April 1985 (a year and a bit after Tuc) I was off on another work related adventure.....Saudi Arabia to help them fix a buch of GTE GTD120 and GTD1000 PABX's. By the time I left Saudi (6 weeks after I arrived) on June 21 (first day of summer) it was hitting 50C during the day. Ouch.

Terry
Terry