"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Senior Cell Phone

Started by TelePlay, January 20, 2013, 10:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

This came in an email from a friend.

Thinking of Terry, and a few other AE collectors, just had to post the AE conversion frankencellphone picture . . .  ;D

Okay, it's a photoshop job . . .  ;) and it's late and I'm tired so I thought it was funny.

LarryInMichigan

A client of mine told me several years ago that he and his siblings actually bought a mobile phone designed for seniors for their elderly mother.  I don't remember the details, but it had fewer buttons which were larger sizes and some programmable buttons for speed calling.

Larry

old_stuff_hound

Not as far-fetched as you might think -- there are rotary dialer apps for iphones!

twocvbloke

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 21, 2013, 07:12:36 AM
A client of mine told me several years ago that he and his siblings actually bought a mobile phone designed for seniors for their elderly mother.  I don't remember the details, but it had fewer buttons which were larger sizes and some programmable buttons for speed calling.

Larry

A Doro Mobile perhaps?

Greg G.

The picture is shopped, but I have seen aps that simulate a rotary dial.  As much as I love spinning the finger wheel on my rotary phones at home, it's not something I want on my cell phone.  A classic ring style on my cell is as close as I have/want for it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Mr. Bones

I have seen commercials for a Senior- Citizen, big-button, big number display, cell phone called a 'Jitterbug'...

http://www.greatcall.com/

Hope this helps...

And, no, I haven't ordered one for me.

Yet. ;)

Best regards,

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

The Jitterbug phone, made by Samsung, even has a dial tone!
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

George Knighton

Quote from: old_stuff_hound on January 21, 2013, 07:18:01 AM
Not as far-fetched as you might think -- there are rotary dialer apps for iphones!

Ha ha ha ha ha.....  I have one (the dialer app).  It's not that good.

Quote from: Mr. Bones on January 21, 2013, 04:47:09 PM
I have seen commercials for a Senior- Citizen, big-button, big number display, cell phone called a 'Jitterbug'...

http://www.greatcall.com/

Hope this helps...

And, no, I haven't ordered one for me.

Yet. ;)

Best regards,

Terrence

Sometimes I get annoyed at the number of people who feel you should look at email instantly instead of obeying the Internet standard, 24-hour turnaround.  And I sure as hell get annoyed by the number of people who believe you're at their beck and call via iMessage and SMS.

I finally set my default ringer and message signal to silent, and manually set contacts that I'd want to communicate with instantly.

I have a family plan with AT&T that has four iPhone 5 on it, and I'll tell you, I'm just about ready for a big technological leap backwards.

Quote from: poplar1 on January 21, 2013, 06:06:21 PM
The Jitterbug phone, made by Samsung, even has a dial tone!

Well.  This is sounding better all the time.  :-)  Do they use Verizon or AT&T?
Annoying new poster.

Mr. Bones

It had better have a WE 500 ringtone, or no deal!!! :D

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

twocvbloke

Speaking of WE500 ringtones on phones, I've noticed a common trend toward using what is called a "dying ringer", based on a WE500 ring, all that they did to make it as take a regular sound and just sped it up and slowed it down in places, like if you were manually turning a vinyl turntable and playing it faster and slower at certain points... ::)

Though when I'm not using Spazmatica Polka as my ringtone, I use the GPO 706 ringer sound file that you can download from Telephones UK, cos everyone uses the WE500 ringer on their mobile these days, in whatever guise it's been placed in... :D

http://telephonesuk.co.uk/sounds.htm

Mr. Bones

twocvbloke, I agree!

Quotecos everyone uses the WE500 ringer on their mobile these days, in whatever guise it's been placed in... Cheesy

I use 20's / 30's subsets, (and older wood!), 302's, AE40's, etc. SFX in.mp3 format for my ringtone, SMS, etc. on my Razr V3xx.

People look pretty puzzled when it goes off, as it's definitely not the much-overused 500 sound!

They were all apparently trained by television, as to what a telephone should sound like! :D

Best regards!

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus