News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What else do you guys collect?

Started by Steve, December 22, 2008, 10:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

Grolsch went to green now, and you can still buy them at some liquor stores if you'd like any more of them.
- Tom

bingster

When I found them, I thought they must be worth a fortune, because I'd never seen anything like them before.  Then I discovered ebay, and found they're a dime a dozen. ::)
= DARRIN =

AET

Ah well, all us collectors go through that, you win some and lose some.
- Tom

mienaichizu

nice cars Tom! I like the 31 model chevy

AET

She's actually a Ford with a Chevy Grill Shell.  She was a big project for us, spanning about 4 years, and she's in Texas now, being torn apart by a guy who wants to re-do it and put a big-block in it. I miss that car, I put all but about 7 miles on that thing when we owned it.  My dad only drove it around the block a few times.
- Tom

Dennis Markham

Greg, nice article and nice collection.  Living here in Detroit Goebel beer was common.  I don't even remember when it disappeared.  If someone were to ask me I'd probably have said it was still in existence.  I always thought it was related to the comedian George Gobel but that doesn't seem likely, or is it?  I'm sure George came long after the beer was first introduced.   People used to call it "joe-bell" which sounded fancier than Goebel (Go-bul).

BDM

I know it was available into the mid 80s here in S/E MI. I spent many a weekend night juiced on that stuff :P
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

AET

Quote from: Brinybay on April 27, 2009, 04:03:26 PM
Speaking of beer, that happens to be my other collecting bug.

You're a Brewery Collector!  I have to post pics of our collection!  We do mainly Pabst/Schlitz.  We have a collection that would blow your mind!
- Tom

Dan/Panther

I collect vintage radios, Jukeboxes, Phones, Trains, and items from my childhood, of whichhg I still have many from when I was 4 and 5 years old.
Dennis;
Interesting bottle. Years ago, while panning for gold in the San Bernardino River, with My Dad, I found a very old Coke bottle, well maybe 50's. It still was full of Coke. Someone must have set it in the cold water, and lost one, But this bottle was almost completely smooth from being in the moving water, only on the upriver side. So I figure it must have been in the same position for years.
I would tend to think your bottle was buried and recently uncovered by current, rather than roilling down river for 90 years. I think it would have suffered the same effect of water and sand moving by it that my Bottle did.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Dan, your Coke bottle sounds interesting.  Is the City and State still embossed on the bottom of the bottle?  They were marked with the City where they were manufactured.  When I was a kid my buddies and I would all buy a bottle of Coke out of a machine.  The person with the City/State on the bottom that was closest to where we were had to buy everyone's "pop".

I agree with what you said about that old beer bottle.  It must have been under sand and stuff for all of those years.  What finally brought it up is anyone's guess.

Dan/Panther

I no longer have the bottle, I gave it to my dad, he collected some bottles, I think after he passed away, my Mom got rid of it.
My Mom has thrown out some rather amazing items since my dad passed away, and I keep tell her to let me see things before you toss them..
She threw out a pack of War Issued Lucky Strike Cigarettes in the Green and red Pack, A 6 pack of Korean war Era Bennies. Given to the soldiers to keep them going. They were Aspirin sized tablets mounted in a bubble type pack and in a brown GI sleeve. But the Worst one was  Regency 22 volt Transistor radio My dad bought for her in 1958 yellow plastic, she threw it out because she couldn't find batteries for it. It's worth perhaps 2 to 3 thousand dollars now. the thing about it, she knows I collect Vintage Transistor radios, Yet she still threw it out. Getting old is not fun I guess.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

Ah, D/P I share your pain.  My mom tosses vintage stuff with a passion, many a tear has been brought to me eye.  I've started just flat out asking for things that I want, because there is not much of the vintage stuff left and at 79 years of age she shows no sign of stopping throwing it out.   

m1898

Just a sample of things, other than phones, I collect.
"Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day"

bakerbrett741

Ronson Touch-Tip Classic

bakerbrett741

Ronson Touch-Tip Octette and
Ronson Touch-Tip Grecian