"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Leich Receivers instead of Western Electric

Started by Nick in Manitou, February 10, 2013, 04:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick in Manitou

Well, I guess I blew it.

I was out of town, looked at my wife's iPad, and bid on, "Lot of 4 Old Black Bakelite Western Electric Telephone Receivers Bell System".  

I am still new enough that from the photos and the title, I thought that at least one of the two older looking handsets was an E1.

I bought the lot for a total of $31.99 including shipping and when I received the units, I found that the two units I had hoped were E1's were actually Leich receivers.

I have sent the seller a note saying that I didn't receive what I expected, but while I await a response from him, I thought I'd post here in case anyone had any suggestions.  (Anyone need a couple Leich hand sets and a couple Western Electric ones?)

The Western Electric handsets are what appears to me to be an older G1 that someone has taken a set of channel locks to in an attempt to remove the caps, and a payphone handset in decent shape that has the armored cord and glued on caps.

Any creative thoughts?  I have not been in a situation where what I bid on and what I received were not what I expected.

Thanks,
Nick

LarryInMichigan

The Leich handsets are generally worth much more than WE G1s (or G3s).  I would hold onto them or resell them. 

Larry

Nick in Manitou

Well, I am surprised - and pleased.

The seller, "wilsonlevi5", responded quickly with a full refund.  Honest mistake and a quick positive response.

Very cool on their part.