News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Reversing Candlestick Lamp Conversion

Started by dencins, January 31, 2014, 01:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dencins

This is to demonstrate a process that can be used by hobbyists to repair holes in brass parts using readily available, inexpensive tools.  Several methods can be used to fill the holes but I wanted to nickel plate the parts so the filler had to be metal that could be plated.

I used a damaged perch from a WECo candlestick that was turned into a lamp as a test.  Brass is a copper/zinc alloy.  The melting point of zinc (786ºF) is considerably less than copper (1981ºF) making it difficult to braze without damaging the original part.  Since I do not have TIG or MIG welding equipment I decided to try the blacksmith method of hammering.  Since the perch is made from drawn brass I filled the holes with brass rod.  While I have not tried it, the same process should work on cast brass.     

The first picture shows the perch with the lobes flared out and a hole drilled through both lobes to attach a light fixture.  If the hole has irregular edges it should be drilled out first so the filler piece fits snug.

First step was to strip the paint and straighten the lobes (Pic 2).

Pieces of brass rod were cut to fill the holes.  The pieces can be made from either brass rod or a brass screw (use the section with no threads) that fit snugly in the hole.  The length of the brass piece is slightly longer than the thickness of the lobes.

Insert a filler piece in a hole then use a ball peen hammer and bucking bar to expand the filler piece in the hole by hammering on the top of the filler piece.  The distance between the lobes on a WECo perch is 3/8" so I was able to use a pry bar for a bucking bar (Pic 3).  Brass will work harden while hammering so heat is used to keep the filler piece malleable.  An occasional quick pass over the filler piece with a propane torch is enough.  Too much heat will start to melt the zinc.

Continue hammering until the filler piece has filled the hole and is secure.  The excess is filed or ground off (Pic 4).

After sanding and polishing the part will be ready for plating.

Dennis Hallworth

Dave F

Very nice Dennis.  If this technique is used on cast parts, extreme caution must be used when hammering.  Old cast brass is often quite brittle and can easily be cracked by excessive stressing.  It is better to use a very small hammer and make lots of light hits rather than fewer hits with a larger hammer.

DF

twocvbloke

Quote from: Dave F on February 01, 2014, 02:49:34 PMIt is better to use a very small hammer and make lots of light hits rather than fewer hits with a larger hammer.

DF

Got to be careful there too, Nikolai Tesla claimed that he could split the hearth in half with taps from a hammer that wouldn't harm a baby, thank goodness he didn't put that in to practice eh!!  :o

Sargeguy

I saw that piece in person, Dennis never ceases to amaze!  The type hammer used for lightly working metal is a chasing hammer, which has a small peen, a wide, flat face, and a bulbous handle.   They come in handy
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409