"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Crimper for Spade Lugs

Started by HarrySmith, January 07, 2011, 09:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Doug:

Great job.  I do need to see about making more of a rounded seat on mine for the larger spades.

-Bill
-Bill G

TelePlay

I found a source for the telephone piercing spade lug crimper. I was quoted a price of $5.59 each plus shipping. They have added a few crimp dies to the prior model. This is what was quoted to me on the new version:

For computer pins & sockets, D-Sub 26-28 AWG wire.
For butt-Insulated connectors, 22-26 AWG wire.
For telephone piercing spade lugs, 22-26 AWG wire.
For open barrel connectors, 20-22 AWG wire.
For open barrel connectors, 14-18 AWG wire.
For non-insulated terminals, 10-14,16-18 and 20-22 AWG wire.

The only catch is they want a minimum order of 100 pieces. Delivery was quoted as 8 to 12 weeks. Anyone interested into going into the business of selling these, let me know and I'll pass along the contact information.

rp2813

Since it apprears RS doesn't carry them anymore, has anyone out here in the western states checked Fry's electronics for crimpers?  I'm going to try to remember to swing by a Fry's to see what they might carry.  I need to re-spade a couple of ends on a 60's coiled handset cord.
Ralph

TelePlay

I went onto Fry's web site and found what they call a D-Sub crimper for about $8.49 plus shipping that looks like the old RS crimper. However, they provide no specs or no enlarged photo to see if the above die specs match the 602B above.

A smoothed blow up of the picture they have on their web site is attached. Seems to have 5 dies.

I sent them a customer request asking for the specs and/or a larger picture of the crimper dies.

It's their part #: 1922790 and can be seen at this link:   http://tinyurl.com/6cleqod

Will post any reply I get from them and when I get.

Or, you can check out the link and call them yourself.

rp2813

Thanks for the Fry's info.  I have a Fry's a couple exits away so will buzz over to see if specs are the same.
Ralph

TelePlay

Ralph, let me know what you learn about this crimper. The first e-mail reply I got from them was this:

--------------------------------
"Dear valued Frys.com customer,

We apologize, the only specific details found on the "D-Sub Crimp Tool" were that it contacts from 20-30 AWG and is usable with L-com CPF, CPM or any industry standard D-Sub crimp contact.

This grade tool crimps commercial D-Subminiature pins and sockets for 20-30 AWG wires. Spring loaded holding mechanism centers and holds pin in place until crimping cycle is complete. The ratchet mechanism provides thousands of consistent, quality crimps. It is ideal for L-com's CPF & CPM product families. Note - not for use with high density D-sub crimp contacts.

Crimps standard commercial D-Sub contacts from 20-30 AWG
Ratchet mechanism provides consistent, quality crimps
Spring loaded holding mechanism keeps contact in place until crimp cycle is complete
Durable construction insures years of use
Use with L-com CPF, CPM or any industry standard D-Sub crimp contact

Thank you for contacting Frys.com.
--------------------------------------------------

Nothing close to my request and the specs I sent to verify. Seems they just pulled the info off of their supplier's spec sheet and didn't look at one to answer my question. I sent them a second e-mail with a picture of my RS crimper dies and asked them to verify if their picture is wrong or the dies are a match to my crimper. Haven't hear from them yet. Maybe Monday. I didn't need to be sold on their specs, just wanted to know what the die end looked like up close.

TelePlay

Ralph,

Here's the second e-mail reply I got from Frys. They caved, threw up there hands and said go look at a store.

---------------------------------
Dear valued Frys.com customer,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you feel. We value your business and it's great to receive positive feedback.

In regard to your original question, we apologize as I was unable to locate any more specific information on the product. As in-store associate would be able to look at the item to provide a better description, and please view the link below for store information:

http://www.frys.com/ac/storelocator/index.jsp
----------------------------------

Again, let us know if this is the same as the old RS crimper. We don't have a Fry's in my state.

HarrySmith

Looks like the closest one to me is in Georgia! I too would like to know if it is a match, the crimper I got from eBay which started this thread is not quite right. Works better than the others I have tried but still not correctly. I will keep looking ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rp2813

Sounds like typical Fry's customer service.

I went today and found only a crimper for things like coax cable.

I didn't bother to ask for help.  I am all too familiar with Fry's sales staff.  I also only had the specs with me, not the item number, and without that there was no sense in pursuing things further. 

I'll try again at a different store and will go armed with all the necessary information.

Also, I couldn't find any spade connectors.  Those are probably going to require a trip to RS.
Ralph

Wallphone

The D-Sub Crimper is the same one that I got on eBay made by Radio Shack that I had to modify. See earlier postings. Here is the Radio Shack crimper. > http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103683 < And this is what the tool was made to crimp. > http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102600&clickid=prod_cs <
Doug Pav

TelePlay

Then the picture Fry is using on their web site for the D-Sub crimper is wrong.  Attached are 4 pictures of crimpers. The one on the left is mine, an old RS crimper that is what works best. The next picture, to the right, is the 602B model from a company in Tiawan that sells them for about $6 but with a 100 quantity minimum. The next is the RS D-Sub crimper and the one on the far right is a from the Fry web site of their D-Sub crimper.

To me, three of the pictures show a 5 die crimper that look just like the old RS spade lug crimper including the Fry crimper. Only the RS D-Sub crimper shows 4 dies. Either Fry doesn't know what they are selling or they have the wrong photo up on their site for the D-Sub Crimper.

On the good side, maybe Fry does have a crimper that is a 5 die that will work with spade lugs.

TelePlay

Found the 602B crimper at a US web site for $10.60 plus shipping. An online store called Phoenix Enterprises.

This seems to be the old RS crimper with a few other crimp dies in the handle next to the wire cutter. They even provided a spec diagram which is attached and shows the dies that work best for telephone spade lugs.

Their web site is at this link: http://www.phoenixent.com/tools.html?gclid=CPiRpaSAvqcCFR9x5QodbQo2_A

and the red handled crimper is the twelvth (12th) from the top. It's their model number HWS15874 described as a MULTI-PURPOSE CRIMPER.

They list the specs as:

Coil spring return & built-in cutter Crimper for:
28-14 AWG Open-barrel crimp terminals-contacts including solderless lugs & dsub pin contacts
26-22 AWG Butt-insulated connectors
22-10 AWG Non-insulated terminals

Check out the attached schematic, it looks just like the old RS spade lug crimper. I checked the gauge stampongs on my old RS crimper and it's the same as the schematic provided by this site. This may have solved the problem.

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 06, 2011, 02:54:57 PM
Looks like the closest one to me is in Georgia! I too would like to know if it is a match, the crimper I got from eBay which started this thread is not quite right. Works better than the others I have tried but still not correctly. I will keep looking ;D

Did you see the crimper and the link to it I posted a few days ago? It looks just like the old RS crimper plus two extra ferrule crimpers in the handle.

HarrySmith

Yes, I saw it. It kinda looks like an old crimper I have in my toolbox that I have not used in years. I am waiting until I can get to it and see if it is the correct one. I forgot I had it until I saw that post. The one you posted looks like it would work, if anyone gets one I would be interested in hearing about it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rp2813

I'm not even going to pursue this any further with the lame staff at Fry's.  That Phoenix tool seems to be the right one, and it's priced reasonably enough.  Definitely worth it to get an otherwise good handset cord that I own re-spaded on a couple of its connectors.
Ralph