News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wooden Western Electric booth w/Nothern Electric Phone

Started by Bob Loblaw, June 29, 2011, 08:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Loblaw

Can anyone tell me more about this? Is it worth anything and what year is the phone and booth? Thanks in advance

http://img9.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=dscn0950j.jpg

HarrySmith

Welcome to the forum.
I do not know a lot about phone booths but from what I have observed people tend to ask a lot of money for them and they do not sell. Most of the time they end up on Craigslist for a couple of hundred and are lucky to sell for that. First impression the sign does not appear to be original, looks like a newer replacement.
3 slot payphones usually go for $2-300 on eBay. This one looks like it needs some work.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Wallphone

It looks like a nice phone booth showing some of it's age. The fan is there but I'm not sure where the inside light is. As Harry said it doesn't look like it has the original sign. How much are they asking for it? Harry, what kind of problems did you see with the payphone? It looks pretty good to me. Welcome to the Forum Bob.
Doug Pav

ESalter

Ok, I know about this one.  It's stamped 8-68 inside the door under the WE decal, that's the build date.  It's a KS19340(IIRC).  The lighted sign looks to be original to me, this type of booth had the sign there instead of just the vents.  We have one just like it, but no seat and dated 70 or 70(don't remember off the top of my head).  Personally, I think this style booth with the sign in the front is one of the nicest looking wood booths they made, but that's just me.  We paid $150 for ours(it had some water damage, but fortunately all on the interior wood panels, so after it was repaired and assembled, you can't see any of it).  Like harry said, they usually don't bring an awful lot of money.  The light is inside the top it's a circular florescent bulb that actually goes around the fan. 

---Eric

Bob Loblaw

Thanks for the info guys. I should have clarified it is our booth. We're looking to put it on eBay and I just had no clue where to start on it. We'd be more than happy to get whatever we can for it as it's not special to us.

I have some circular fluorescent bulbs in the garage somewhere... always wondered my my father had them and now I know. I can remember the fan and light working but I'm not sure they do anymore.

You're right about people asking a lot for them Harry, There are many on eBay which seem like over priced wooden boxes to me... Amazing what people think stuff is worth just because it looks old.

Well, any additional info is appreciated. I guess i don't have a hidden gem I have to worry about which is good to know.