News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

need help with some phones

Started by wrangler64, April 14, 2013, 01:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-Man

Possibly a British Ericsson which was used in Canada, particularly in the Prairie Provinces. See if a hole is located on the side for a magneto crank.  Also what is the text on the two  buttons?

If it is indeed the model that I am thinking of, it is configured for simplex dialing so the subscriber can dial an exchange call in the usual manner or using a magneto to signal other subscribers on their party-line.

If not, simply then it was used as a standard telephone set.

twocvbloke

Quote from: G-Man on April 15, 2013, 01:12:16 AM
Possibly a British Ericsson which was used in Canada, particularly in the Prairie Provinces.

Looking it up, I believe you're spot on with the brand:

http://britishtelephones.com/ericsson/n1071.htm

Specifically, the N1071F (2-button, Non-Director dial), though the dial plate has been changed (presumably to suit the location, or replaced with a GPO dial (will have "OQ" on the 0) to replace a faulty one if it was imported after it was retired... :)

Though no room for a Magneto, it's an entirely automatic telephone, though the button labels are probably "Call Exchange" and "Recall", or something to that effect... :)

DavePEI

Possibly a British Ericsson which was used in Canada, particularly in the Prairie Provinces. See if a hole is located on the side for a magneto crank.  Also what is the text on the two  buttons?
So I was on the right track when I was thinking it was an Ericcson or Siemens (see my post from last night). I was pretty sure it was a British phone, many of which were used out West. So you narrowed it down further, G-Man, and I think twocvbloke narrowed it down the rest of the way! Teamwork ;)

I did check my Manitoba Telephone System Districtman's Handbook (1945), where I had thought I would find it, but it wasn't listed, but many other UK phones were!

For those who didn't realize it, out West in Canada (Manitoba, Sask., Alberta), they tended to use phones and dials imported from Britain, especially in the time following the automation of their exchanges with UK switches. So a lot of UK phones show up there, as do NE uniphones with GPO dials.

Thanks, guys!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Sargeguy

I would not buy the 2-boxer without getting better photos and posting them here first.  That phone looks very suspicious.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

DavePEI

Quote from: Sargeguy on April 15, 2013, 07:18:28 AM
I would not buy the 2-boxer without getting better photos and posting them here first.  That phone looks very suspicious.
Which is the jist of what we have been telling her... We have asked several times here and in PM's for better photos front and back of it, but she hasn't checked in since.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

G-Man

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 15, 2013, 03:55:01 AM
Possibly a British Ericsson which was used in Canada, particularly in the Prairie Provinces.

Looking it up, I believe you're spot on with the brand:

http://britishtelephones.com/ericsson/n1071.htm

Specifically, the N1071F (2-button, Non-Director dial), though the dial plate has been changed (presumably to suit the location, or replaced with a GPO dial (will have "OQ" on the 0) to replace a faulty one if it was imported after it was retired... :)

Though no room for a Magneto, it's an entirely automatic telephone, though the button labels are probably "Call Exchange" and "Recall", or something to that effect... :)

As shown below, there is indeed room for a magneto.

However at this point the precise model number is unknown since both the conventional dial and the magneto/dial versions used the same housing.

Once wrangler64 examines it and determines whether there is a hole or not, for a crank then we will have a clearer idea as to which model it is but either way, it is obvious that the wrong handset and cord is being used with it.

DavePEI

Quote from: G-Man on April 15, 2013, 09:05:41 AM
As shown below, there is indeed room for a magneto.

However at this point the precise model number is unknown since both the conventional dial and the magneto/dial versions used the same housing.

Once wrangler64 examines it and determines whether there is a hole or not, for a crank then we will have a clearer idea as to which model it is but either way, it is obvious that the wrong handset and cord is being used with it.

This would certainly make sense for the time these were used out West. It was at a point where the telcos were scrambling to automate their larger exchanges, but there still was a need for magneto calls. I think you are dead on.

This is exactly the type of phone they would have been needing at the time.

The handset must be a later addition to it.

Good work!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

wrangler64

Sorry I jumped to conclusions. Glad I asked about the wood phone before I purchased it, may have gotten burned on it had I went ahead and bought it. Thanks for all the welcomes to the forum. I do enjoy coming here and learning about the phones. Hope everyone has a great day.

AE_Collector

Keep in mind that we are speaking as collectors. If the wood phone is very inexpensive and you just want a wood phone to put on the wall it looks quite good. If you want as historically accuarate as possible, it probably isn't a good choice.

Terry

wrangler64

They were asking $130 for the phone, not sure if that's a good deal for a wall hanger or not. Would need a good anchor to hang it on the wall. ;D

Sargeguy

In addition to the other comments it looks as if the backboard and box are made of something other than walnut.  As stated, it is a later magneto box, and would be unlikely to appear on a two boxer.  Most two box WE phones would have model number, patent dates, and manufacturer information stamped into the wood.  I'm not so certain about later Northern Electric types, but the box in this case is Western Electric.  Stamped info is not a guarantee of authenticity, as many more top boxes survived than other parts, and were re-used for years after being removed from two and three box phones.  Another sign of a fake WE phone is that WE battery boxes were typically accessed by either removing the entire box from the backboard, or through the top by removing the writing shelf.  To my knowledge they never opened downwards with securing latches at the sides.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

southernphoneman

Quote from: wrangler64 on April 15, 2013, 11:40:07 AM
Sorry I jumped to conclusions. Glad I asked about the wood phone before I purchased it, may have gotten burned on it had I went ahead and bought it. Thanks for all the welcomes to the forum. I do enjoy coming here and learning about the phones. Hope everyone has a great day.
I am glad you are here. I understand that you enjoy coming to this forum and please keep coming. :) ;)

G-Man

If you were calling another party on your own line, you simply turned the crank on the magneto.
To make a regular exchange call, you would dial the number of the desired subscriber.

canuckphoneguy posted photos of one that he came across during a road trip last August.  The crank had been removed when the converted to fully automatic service.

Here is a link to his thread- http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7391.0

Here are the instructions to the subscribers as posted on its number card:

LIFT HANDSET AND LISTEN

IF LINE IS FREE PRESS CALL BUTTON

PARTY CALL: TURN HANDLE FOR CODE RING

CENTRAL CALL: DIAL CENTRAL NUMBER

G-Man

Opps.. I accidently clipped off the first part of my reply. Here is what I intended to include-

A bit further regarding these telephones.

They were dubbed the "Alberta Special" since they were primarily used by Alberta Government Telephones for serving subscribers on very long, rural lines. Other Canadian lecs used them as well. Northern Electric and Automatic Electric also manufactured comparable sets.

Quote from: G-Man on April 15, 2013, 09:38:32 PM
If you were calling another party on your own line, you simply turned the crank on the magneto.
To make a regular exchange call, you would dial the number of the desired subscriber.

canuckphoneguy posted photos of one that he came across during a road trip last August.  The crank had been removed when the converted to fully automatic service.

Here is a link to his thread- http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7391.0

Here are the instructions to the subscribers as posted on its number card:

LIFT HANDSET AND LISTEN

IF LINE IS FREE PRESS CALL BUTTON

PARTY CALL: TURN HANDLE FOR CODE RING

CENTRAL CALL: DIAL CENTRAL NUMBER

poplar1

Quote from: wrangler64 on April 15, 2013, 11:40:07 AM

Can you provide a picture of the back of the phone, and maybe the inside of the top box?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.