News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1212 Stromberg Carlson Fatboy

Started by tuberadionut, July 09, 2009, 10:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuberadionut

I recently purchased a Stromberg Carlson 1212 Fatboy almost exactly like this one currently at auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1930s-Original-1212-Fatboy-Telephone-working-nice_W0QQitemZ190319359167
( dead link 02-28-22 )

The one in this auction looks exactly the same as mine, except mine has a curly cord on the handset. My questions are about the handset, and dial. Looking at the phone in the auction, is this an original handset, or was the Number 15 handset with spitcup attachment maybe replaced with a newer handset as a repair? Also, the dial on the phone in this auction, as well as on my recently purchased 1212, does not look like the original dial , or is it? The dial looks like it sits up too high in the base. I've seen other 1212's where the dial sits flush against the hole in the base. The yellow and black decal on this phone in the auction is missing also, correct?

McHeath

Welcome tuberadionut, I'm sure some of our tube radio fans here and you will get along famously.  As for the phone in question I'm out of my element, while very cool phones I know almost nothing about them.  Can anyone lend some knowledge?

bingster

I've seen this base with both handsets.  It's probably a similar situation as you find with the Western Electric D-mount.  They started off with the 1920s-style E1 handset, and wound up being sent out with the newer F1 handset.  Which means either handset can be considered correct.

As for the dial, I'm not sure.   I do know that Stromberg made it's own dial at some point, so it could have come with one of those.  But they also used AE dials, too, so I don't think they can be ruled out.
= DARRIN =

foots

I like the "fatboy" phones alot, though I don't own one yet.  I have 2 Stromberg Carlson 1243s, one with an AE dial and one with the SC dial. The AE dial appears to be more flush fitting than the SC dial. The SC dial clicks when winding it up and when its released. The AE dial does not click and is silent on windup.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"