News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

REMOVING THE COMPONENTS FROM THE TRANSMITTER OF A D-80370 HANDSET

Started by zapper, October 28, 2014, 04:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapper

Not finding much info on this handset. I don't want to do any damage trying to remove the parts, so I may just leave it as purchased.  Did look at the topics of the E types and I can  see myself causing damage trying to follow the instructions. 
Thanks, Zapper

Phonesrfun

That is an E handset, just the earlier designtion of it.  Not much to take apart.  No user serviceable parts inside, as they used to say.  Other than taking it off the handset handle, you don't want to try to open the transitter itself up. You do need to remove the transmitter from the handle if you want to replace the cord.

Taking the transmitter off the handle is just a matter of unscrewing it, but a strap wrench might be needed to get it off. They tend to fit very snugly.  Also, there is the ring of Bakelite that fits snugly between the handset handle and the widest part of the transmitter housing.  You have already taken the spitcup off, but the tightening ring between the base of the handle and the lower part of the transmitter housing might need to be loosened before you can successfully take the tramsmitter out.  That ring is odd shaped, so it does not lend itself to having a strap wrench grab onto it.  There are two little holes in that ring at 180 degrees from each other.  Those holes were used by a spanning tool with tips that fit into the holes to loosen the ring.  The tools are hard to come by and reproductions are kind of spendy.  I have never needed one because I can always get the transmitter out with just a strap wrench around that wide part of the cast aluminum part of the transmitter that the spitcup screws to.

These transmitters are pretty funky.  They sound horrible, but they are pretty neat from the standpoint of originality.  What that is, is a 395 "bullet" transmitter.  There is a later production transmitter that uses the F1 trasmitter that is found in the F handset.  With the F1 type transmitter, they made a cast aluminum holder that is in the same shape as the base of the 395 you have there, so if fits nicely in the E handsets.  Unlike the 395, the F1 upgrade sounds as good as any transmitter.
-Bill G

zapper

Thanks Bill,
the part came right off with the strap wrench. Marked D-85175
The receiver is marked Pats app for July 23, 1918 Pat in USA

Doug Rose

That is a nice handset, before there was an E1. It was original on a WE A1....real nice find!...Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Is there a date on the transmitter?
There may be a part number, such as  D-80510,   etched in the metal on the back of the receiver unit.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

zapper

The transmitter has D85175 , and under that pat. apps. for in u.s.a (printed in vermillion)
receiver cap  inside marked  12A  outside  property of american tel & tel co
receiver pat in u.s.a. july 23, 1918
pats. applied for.(printed in vermillion)
I will take better pic's tomorrow.
Zapper

zapper

Some pic's of he handset

Phonesrfun

The underside of the transmitter seems to be missing its contact, which is a spring-sort of thing that connect to that center screw and comes in contact with the center contact in the handset handle when the transmitter is screwed in place.
-Bill G

zapper

There is a piece of wire connecting the 2, fell off the contact when I took the pic.

poplar1

Zapper, were you able to remove the receiver from the handle? If so, it may be marked on the back. If the transmitter is dated, it's probably on the side, visible if you remove the Bakelite collar.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

zapper

Since i"m unfamiliar with the process of removing the remaining parts I will leave it to the new  owner.  I tried using the strap wrench and heat from the hair dryer, nothing moves.  I would probably break the handset if I exerted too much pressure on the strap wrench.
Thanks to all for your input.
Zapper

Doug Rose

Zapper....is it for sale? I am interested ...pm me with a price...Doug
Kidphone

Kenton K