News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - February 2019

Started by Jim Stettler, February 01, 2019, 07:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - February  2019  *** Vote for Three ***

phr34k5h0w's Western Electric 555 PBX board   for $250  w/ 1.5 hour drive Facebook Marketplace
8 (25.8%)
Sargeguy's 1908 New England telephone sign. mint condition,  appears  never  used.  $300
10 (32.3%)
tubaman's Mix & Genest 'Weltruf' Deskset about $122.53 USD with shipping   Ebay
15 (48.4%)
Gary Millam's  1928 window shade candlestick attachment $20.00 +tax antique store
12 (38.7%)
 Harry Smith's 331A Portable Telphone Set $35.00 w/ free shipping From Ralph Meyer
6 (19.4%)
magicbrain's AE nickel step base candlestick - for $59.99 + $22.60 shipping  ebay BIN  
9 (29%)
Fabius's L M Ericsson Telephone sterling silver stick pin $9 plus $3 shipping.  ebay
10 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Jim Stettler

Post your "Find of the Month" here.

A "Find of the Month" is a telephone or a related item that you acquired during the month that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" that you got on it.

The "Find of the Month" contest is focused on the collection of telephones rather than on their sale for a profit. To be eligible for the "Find of the Month" contest:

- The finder must have personally acquired and actually own the item.
- The item can be acquired for free but it can not be a gift or present from anyone.
- The item (or any of its components) cannot be put up for sale during the contest period.
- Only one "Find" per owner can be in a "Find of the Month" contest.

A Nomination Should Include:

1) where and/or how the item was found.
2) the price & shipping cost.
3) the forum link to the topic discussing the find.
4) the eBay link if won there.
5) and other information of importance about the find.
6) one or two pictures of the item.
7) If the item is very cool to you for personal reasons, please share. This would be  your collection, birthday phone, phones from youth, basically, Why is that phone extra cool to you.

Ideally your item would be posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum such as "Auction Talk", "Flea Market/Yard Sale Finds" or "Collectors Corner" Board. Then you or anyone else can nominate your "Find" to the Current "Find of the Month" thread by posting at least one picture and other details including the price paid, any shipping costs and a link to the original discussion on the forum. It is not a requirement that your find be posted elsewhere on the forum but the more details the better.

Nominations of phones listed in other forum discussion topics, by members that do not own the item but realize it is indeed a "find" worthy of being nominated as a "Find of the Month" candidate, are always welcome.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entry to one phone or one "Find" that might include limited multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find in next months contest.

To check out a list of all past winners including the Find of the YEAR winners, click here:
          --> Winner's List <--

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on forum. Thanks John.  To check them out, click here:
          --> Photo Album <--

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Hill Haven Telephone Company

Found this Western Electric 555 PBX board on Facebook Marketplace for $250 unexpectedly. 

We drove 1.5 hours north to get it.   It came with extra headsets, all original drawings. The works. 

Here she is sitting in our living room. 

Here is a link to the thread discussing it
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21881.0

HarrySmith

Nice Find. I have every document for the board stored online. There is a link here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18981.0
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sargeguy

I am going to nominate my name 1908 New England telephone sign. This sign is in mint condition, and appears to have never been used. The grommets on the mounting holes are shiny and have no scratches from screws or nails. $300
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

tubaman

May I enter my Mix & Genest 'Weltruf' Deskset.
It was €85.87 + €15.99 P&P - worked out at about £92 total after conversion.
Ebay link - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-Phone-Mix-amp-GENEST-Bakelite-Metal-1934-/113619816577
It was discussed at - http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21968.0
The unusual design of the cradle and the dial attracted me.
I won't forget its name as I'm 'well chuffed' with my 'Weltruf'!
;D

Gary Millam

I would like to nominate for Feb "Find Of The Month" this window shade candlestick attachment that I found the other day
at an antique shop in New Bedford, MA. It is a calendar from 1928 on one side and a telephone
number/ address book on the other side. It is in excellent condition and the cost was $20.00 plus tax.
It looks right at home on my 50AL dial stick. Here are a few photos of my find.

Gary Millam

HarrySmith

I would like to nominate my 331A Portable Telphone Set. I just aquired it from Ralph Meyer, author of Old Time Telephones book. He put up a 331A & B for sale on lists. The B went immediately before I could even reply but I got the A. I have been wanting one of these for my collection. I got it for $35.00 with free shipping. I have a couple of days off coming up and I intend to get into it then. I am posting the picture Ralph put up for now, I will add more.

PS - There was also a post on the lists today from Steve Hilsz. He has some copies of Ralph's latest edition book, #3, available for sale. If you are interested contact Steve, jydsk@tds.net
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

magicbrain

I would like to nominate my AE nickel step base candlestick - purchased with a ebay BIN for $59.99 + $22.60
Ebay Link - https://tinyurl.com/yxszj6ce
I have not received it yet, but from the pictures it looks to be in good overall condition & it should be fairly easy to "de-lamp"
Discussion Link - https://tinyurl.com/yxldvmga
Bruce

Fabius

I nominate the L M Ericsson Telephone stick pin  It pictures the Ericsson Eiffel Tower phone. I bought from an eBay seller in Sweden. It is halmarked for sterling silver. $9 plus $3 shipping.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Voting for February find of the month closes tomorrow.
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

And Tubaman is the winner with his Mix & Genest 'Weltruf' Deskset.
Congrats,
Jim
You live, You learn,

tubaman

Thanks everyone - I've not won a Find of the Month before and I must say it's a nice feeling to do so.
:)