and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

*Got My Panasonic PBX

Started by RotaryRose, July 30, 2011, 05:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotaryRose

Re : Got My Panasonic KXTA308 PBX Running

Hi Members,

I would just like to Post the results of my 'trials & tribulations' in acquiring my Panasonic KXTA308 PBX.

. . .for a full account of my escapade and journey . . . .please feel free to read my original Posting (in the 'Classifieds' Section of this Forum . . .under Rotary Rose).

This is how it looks set up on my Coffee Table (*Please See Attachment Photos).  Currently I have my King Pyramid 232 / 50AL Candlestick / W.E. #202 / Siemens 366 Wall Phone as well as the KXT7330 Panasonic (PT) hooked up to the PBX. . . .I also have a W.E. #302, but that is at work.

I decided that it may be prudent to also purchase a PT (Proprietary Telephone) with Screen . . .to assist me in any Programming requirements (*Please See Attachment Photos).

I was able to obtain my Panasonic KXTA308 Pbx for $150 (Australian Dollars) . . .and the KXT7330 Programmable Handset for $75 (Australian Dollars).  They are a little difficult to find them in Australia, BUT they are out there.  If you are in Australia - and you are interested in purchasing one . . please write me . . .and hopefully I can help you.  The gentleman whom I bought this Unit from, has several more available (with handsets).  It turns out, that these Panasonic KXTA308's are about 15 or more years old - which is why they are becoming more difficult to source.

The Panasonic KXTA308 PBX works a treat . . . .For Basic use - there was no need to do any Programming what so ever . . . just 'PLUG in and GO' . . .Brilliant !  However, if you do purchase a Second Hand / Used Panasonic PBX - I would recommend RE-SETTING it :

To RE-SET the PBX (to default Factory Settings) - simply PLUG in the Panasonic PBX to Power . . . TURN ON . . . .Carefully OPEN the FRONT COVER (undo the two (2) Screws) . . . . .Locate the RE-SET BUTTONS (*Please See Attached Photos).  As you can see in my Photo(s), there is a small 'rectangle'Switch and a small 'Round' Switch.  Flick the 'Rectangle' Switch over . . .THEN  . . .PUSH the 'Round' Switch Down for two seconds (you will see the LED Lamp flicker faster) . . . once this is done . . .FLICK the 'Rectangle' Switch back to it's Original Position.  There . . .you have just RE-SET your Panasonic KXTA308 PBX back to it's Factory default Settings.

*Please Note: that this PBX is not connected to any 'Outside Public Telephone Exchange'.  It is ONLY utilised as an IN-HOUSE Intercom system.

I then simply plugged in my Rotary Telephones in the corresponding JACK01, JACK02, JACK03 Sockets . . . .and simply 'Dialled' any Telephone.  For example, to 'CALL' the telephone plugged in the JACK01 socket . . .just dial '101' . . .and the that telephone will simply 'RING' . . Pick-Up . . and Talk.   If you wish to 'CALL' the telephone plugged in the JACK04 socket . . . just dial '105' . . .and so on.   Wonderful !

*As I am not connected to any 'Outside Public Telephone Exchange' - I do not have any LINES plugged in the CO1 / CO2 / CO3 Sockets.

As Member: Owain mentioned to me - it didn't need any programming in order to function properly.  Furthermore, it was thanks to Member: Owain that persuaded me to concentrate my efforts on locating such a Panasonic PBX in Australia, rather than in the States . . .as I could encounter potential Electrical conversion difficulties (110Volts / 240 Volts / Hz).

I did however have a problem connecting my GPO King Pyramid 232 to the PBX.  it seems that once PLUGGED in the PBX - I could receive CALLS (that is, the Telephone when dialled - did RING . . .and I could Pick-Up the Receiver and Speak normally) . . .BUT . . .if I tried to DIAL another Telephone Extension from the King Pyramid . . .I could NOT make another Telephone connected on the PBX 'RING'.   I then tried another EXTENSION (thinking that it could be the actual PBX Socket that was the Problem . . But it wasn't . . .as every other Telephone worked properly in that same EXTENSION Line Socket).   It was definitely a problem with the Telephone. 

As it turned out - it WAS the DIAL SPEED of the King Pyramid.  I managed to contact the seller of the Telephone ( another wonderful person suffering from 'Phoneitis' - as Member: HarrySmith likes to call us : )   )   He was able to correct this problem by improving the DIAL SPEED.  Then . . .onced connected to the PBX, it ran like a dream. 

If anyone is serious in 'customizing' the features and attributes of the Panasonic KXTA308 PBX to suit a small Business - I would Highly recommend utilising a :-
*  OPERATING MANUAL
*  INSTALLATION MANUAL

The Operating Manual is good - but, in my case - it constantly made references to the 'INSTALLATION MANUAL' for precise STEPS.  Please refer to my original POST in the 'Classifieds' Section (under 'Rotary Rose'), where you will see where Member: gpo706, has referred me to Panasonic Manual Link Page.  (thank you Member: gpo706 )   Furthmore - you will probably need it for a better explanation in Programming STEPS and information too.    As it turns out, the only Programming I have done (using the PT Telephone) is to allow me to do the following :

* Allow 'ANY' Rotary Telephone to PICK-UP (Pick-Up the Handset and TALK) . . .when 'ANY' of the Telephones 'RING'.  For example, if I use the Telephone (plugged in JACK01 - Extension 101) . . .and DIAL '102' (To CALL Telephone plugged to JACK02) . . . .the Telephone plugged in JACK02 will 'RING' yes . . .BUT . . .I can use Telephone plugged in JACK03 (Extension 103) . . .or Telephone plugged in JACK04 (Extension 104) to ANSWER the CALL (by simply picking up the Handset and Talking).

As I have 8 x JACK Socket Extensions, this PBX (at it's current configuration) allows me to have 8 x Rotary Telephones.  As ALL my Rotary Telephones have RJ11 Leads  - I had to find a solution to allow me to place ALL my Rotary Telephones throughout my House easily.   I had to find a way of CONNECTING my phones to separate RJ11 Extension Leads.  As a result, I was able to source some 30 metre length RJ11 leads from Ebay (Australia).  I managed to source 30 metres for $18 Each (Australian Dollars + $9 Shipping).  These Leads have a RJ11 Male Plugs at either end of the Lead.  I thought this was a reasonable Price, plus the delivery was quite prompt at only 4 days.  In addition, I managed to source the 8 x Female -To-Female Couplers for $4 (Australian Dollars) Each.  This will allow me to connect my telephones to the RJ11 Leads . . .then the Leads can plug directly into the PBX Sockets (that are also RJ11's) *Please See Attached Photos. 

So, in total, I have 4 x 30 Metres RJ11 Leads (for 4 Phones) + 2 x 10 Metres RJ11 Leads ( for 2 Phones).  This gives me plenty of length to run my Rotary Telephones where I please.

I certainly hope this helps someone - particularly any Aussie Rotary Telephone lovers.

In the mean time - thank you to all the members that have assisted me.

Keep Smiling . . . .Keep Dialing : )

kind regards
Julie-Anne

RotaryRose

. . .Sorry, just thought I would add this Photo as well : )

kind regards
Julie-Anne

RotaryRose

. . .Photos of the RE-SET Buttons. 

kind regards
Julie-Anne

gpo706

Nice one, you have been busy!

These Pana's are a godsend for playing with your phones.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

RotaryRose

Hi Member: gpo706,

Absolutely . . .they are Magic ! 

Sorry about 'Doubling Up' of Photos there.   Actually Member: Dennis Markham is having a laugh at how many photos I Posted ( Sorry Dennis : )  ). . . . . I think I probably used up too much of the 'ClassicRotaryPhones - Forum's' computer memory with these photos.

The thing about Programming these Panasonic PBX's (KXTA308), is that in order to accomplish a certain function . . . . you have to perform one or more Programs, to ensure the 'parameters' are 'covered'.  This is where the 'Installation Manual' is useful, as well as the 'Operating Manual'. 

It seems that (through my basic knowledge)

kind regards
Julie-Anne

bellsystemproperty

The Panasonic PBX are great small-scale systems.

What you want to be careful with is operating them sitting. They are meant to be stood vertically because they use convection cooling. I originally had a 616 ( 6 CO ports and 16 extensions) and it died because I ran it sitting down. I don't know if yours has the same problem, but I know the 616s do.

C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)

gpo706

I think BSP has a point, best get the rawlplugs out.

Also, why don't you try a CO line on it, doubles the fun!

BTW you must get through some amount of coffee judging by the size of your table... ;)

AE_Collector

Quote from: gpo706 on August 02, 2011, 07:11:21 PM
best get the rawlplugs out.

Now we can find out if anyone else knows what rawlplugs are! I do as a Canadian but I have always suspected that they might be British. You guys south of the 49th know what rawlplugs are???

Terry

Adam

Back east (New York) we used to call them "mollies".
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

AE_Collector

Quote from: Adam on August 03, 2011, 12:17:27 AM

We had what we called Molly anchors or Molly Bolts. These are the metal things that you hammer into a hole in a hollow wall and it comes with a bolt that you tighten up with a screwdriver which pulls the back of the Molly Anchor up tight to the back of the drywall (or whatever). Once it is tightened into place you can then remove the bolt (unlike a toggle bolt where removing the bolt loses the toggle piece inside the wall). The bolt is then used to fasten whatever to the wall (molly anchor) by threading it back into the Molly Anchor.

Terry

Owain

Quote from: AE_collector on August 03, 2011, 01:23:43 AM
Quote from: Adam on August 03, 2011, 12:17:27 AM

We had what we called Molly anchors or Molly Bolts. These are the metal things that you hammer into a hole in a hollow wall and it comes with a bolt that you tighten up with a screwdriver which pulls the back of the Molly Anchor up tight to the back of the drywall (or whatever). Once it is tightened into place you can then remove the bolt (unlike a toggle bolt where removing the bolt loses the toggle piece inside the wall). The bolt is then used to fasten whatever to the wall (molly anchor) by threading it back into the Molly Anchor.

Terry

Rawlplugs are actually fibre (now plastic) plugs for inserting into masonry. Rawlbolts came later.

http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3&Itemid=3

RotaryRose

Hi All . . .

Thank you Member: bellsystemproperty / and Member: gpo706 . . . wow . . .I did know that by continually operating the PBX on a table top will over heat the unit.  Thank you both for the handy tip - with regards to mounting the PBX on a wall (vertical) . . .had no idea ?!  I will ensure to install it in a vertical position. 

Member: gpo706 . . .how are you ?  Yes, it is a large Coffee Table (2.5 metres x 1.5 metres) . . . it doubles up as a work desk / telephone assembly depot /  . . .and drinks counter (cheers).

kind regards
Julie-Anne

gpo706

You could throw a mattress on that and use it as a spare bed RR!   ;D

Owain

Quote from: gpo706 on August 03, 2011, 05:59:01 PM
You could throw a mattress on that and use it as a spare bed RR!   ;D

Yebbut that would deffo overheat the panny!

RotaryRose

Hi Member: gpo706,

Yes - I know, this Coffee Table . . .it's huge !  Actually, it's a large dining table that I acquired and simply cut the Legs, to lower it.

kind regards
Julie-Anne