News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Space saver with E1 handset

Started by persido, July 28, 2013, 11:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

persido

I found this at a flea market I know it's a space saver, I have never seen one with an E1 handset can someone please tell me anything about it. The only dates I can find on it is 1935. I paid $10 for it, the handset and cloth cord are in perfect shape, hope someone can tell me more.   

Thanks

poplar1

You should see C-1 stamped on it. C-1 is the hand set mounting between the B-1 (1928) and the D-1 (1930). Some have dials on top, using a 39A dial mount. The L-shaped bracket to mount it to the side of your desk is usually missing.

This can be used as a 101 (sidetone) or a 201 (anti-sidetone). As shown, it is coded 101A-3E or 201A-3E where A indicates no dial, -3 indicates black, and E indicates an E-type handset.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

You done good! C1 space saver with an E1 handset. This was made during the period 202s were produced in the early 30s. Real Nice....Doug
Kidphone

persido

Thanks poplar1 and Doug great info, the L shaped bracket was with it, I removed it.

Phonesrfun

Good thing it has the bracket.  They are often missing, and when missing are hard to find replacements.
-Bill G

ESalter

The rarest thing you have here are those two screws that hold the mounting bracket to the phone.  They're 8-36 thread screws, impossible to get replacements for now.  I have two C1s, neither have the screws.

---Eric

Mr. Bones

Quote from: ESalter on July 28, 2013, 01:05:47 PM
The rarest thing you have here are those two screws that hold the mounting bracket to the phone.  They're 8-36 thread screws, impossible to get replacements for now.  I have two C1s, neither have the screws.

---Eric

Eric, what are the length of the 8-36 screws? I'm going to bed, and don't want to take one of mine down, and apart, thought you might know, from memory.

Thanks, and best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

ESalter

I don't have a single one of them to measure, but I always assumed they were 1/2".  Nickel plated brass, round head.

I *think* the dial neck mounting screws are 8-36 thread too, but those are oval heads.

---Eric

DavePEI

Quote from: ESalter on July 29, 2013, 11:28:15 PM
I don't have a single one of them to measure, but I always assumed they were 1/2".  Nickel plated brass, round head.

I *think* the dial neck mounting screws are 8-36 thread too, but those are oval heads.

---Eric
A source for these may be eBAY:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121102224544

These are hex head screws, so not an exact match, but should work in a pinch...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

ESalter

What I had considered doing is buying an 8-36 die and running some 8-32 screws through it to cross-thread them.  It would be cheesy, but they would work and they'd look correct from the outside.

---Eric