News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring Question in AE40

Started by ntophones, October 27, 2009, 11:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntophones

Could someone look at this picture and tell me where each numbered post should connect in an AE40 phone?
I know this picture is out of focus and the condenser is not for a S.L. ringer, but, I just used it for the positioning.
I have a SL ringer and a new condenser on the way. I just want to make sure I can wire it up properly to get the phone to ring and work properly. I am new to schematics, and want to make sure I am reading the diagram properly.
Thank you all so much for your help.
--nto

LarryInMichigan

nto,

look at http://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/aeco/ae40.pdf.  Your contacts '1' and '2' in correspond to the 4MF capacitor (condenser) in the lower-left part of the diagram, and '3' and '4' correspond to the ringer capacitor in the upper left part of the diagram.  Note that AE40s were assembled with various frequency ringers (for party line operation), so the value of the capacitor required for the ringer varies, and the ringers were designed to be tuned to the correct frequency.

I hope that this helps.

Larry

ntophones

Thanks, Larry--I appreciate your response.
I have a phone that I am converting from a frequency ringer to a straight line ringer, and am getting a condenser from Oldphoneworks that should work with the new S.L. ringer.
The diagram I already have.
My main question is that diagram talks about colored wiring, and the old wiring is hard to tell the colors on. So, does it matter if I switch the colors on the 1/2 posts or 3/4 posts? In other words, does it matter if posts 1/2 go to 3 or T and the posts 3/4 connect to L1 or 4 on the telephone? Will it hurt anything, or just not work?
Thanks,
nto
--nto

LarryInMichigan

nto,

It will not make any difference.  If you are not concerned about authenticity, you could save a bundle by buying capacitors at Radio Shack or an electronics supply store.  Just make sure that you get non-polarized capacitors which can handle at least 100V. 

Larry

ntophones

oh, wow--I had no idea.
Since this one is on the way, I'm going to use it. I would like to be authentic.
Thank you so much for the answer to my question!
I am excited, and hope I can get my little phone to work. It is very cute.
nto
--nto