News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My latest shameless eBay splurge! Turquoise 1500

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, August 28, 2015, 01:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

Christian, you made a tremendous improvement in that 1500! Your splurge was well worth it. The color is very even now and that faceplate looks great too.

The aqua blue/turquoise problem with digital photography is hard to overcome. You might try a lighter color for the background. As inviting as that pool looks, it could be affecting the color balance in the camera and making the phone appear bluer than it really is. But it does make a terrific background.

The keypad looks better too. It may eventually go back to the ashy look because WD-40 is known to evaporate quickly. I remember John (Teleplay) working on that problem with his Rockford phone, but not exactly what ended up fixing the ashy key problem (my name for it) where some keys are lighter than others.
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: jsowers on September 07, 2015, 06:41:34 PM
Christian, you made a tremendous improvement in that 1500! Your splurge was well worth it. The color is very even now and that faceplate looks great too.

The aqua blue/turquoise problem with digital photography is hard to overcome. You might try a lighter color for the background. As inviting as that pool looks, it could be affecting the color balance in the camera and making the phone appear bluer than it really is. But it does make a terrific background.

The keypad looks better too. It may eventually go back to the ashy look because WD-40 is known to evaporate quickly. I remember John (Teleplay) working on that problem with his Rockford phone, but not exactly what ended up fixing the ashy key problem (my name for it) where some keys are lighter than others.
I actually spent most of my afternoon running around the house with my iPad trying to find a spot where the color matched on the screen as it did on the phone; everywhere I took it, the color looked identical to Aqua!! :/

I know the WD40 isn't permanent,  but it looked nice for the photos! I probably won't go very far into trying to treat the buttons, though.

Do you think I should add it to 'Bringing Phones back from the Dead' topic?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Phonesrfun

Maybe either Armor-all or a dab of tire cleaner would also un-gray the keys.
-Bill G

jsowers

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on September 07, 2015, 07:23:30 PM
Do you think I should add it to 'Bringing Phones back from the Dead' topic?

Sure, add it to that topic with a before and after pic and outline what you did to bring it back to life.

Also, trying a digital camera might be another way to get the right color balance. I'm not much of a fan of smartphone or tablet cameras. They're convenient but they have limitations. My old, and I mean OLD Sony CyberShot camera has no trouble with turquoise.
Jonathan

david@london

christian -

that's a real transformation......a nice even-coloured finish after the peroxide treatment.

it would be good to read a step-by-step guide on your procedure as some have had patchy results on light blue.
do you use the salon creme - what volume %? do you place the parts in a container while bleaching ? sunlight or UV ?

....... + the phone looks great next to the swimming pool.

Doug Rose

Christian ....it doesn't get any better than this.....perfect....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Quote from: david@london on September 08, 2015, 08:18:14 AM
christian -

that's a real transformation......a nice even-coloured finish after the peroxide treatment.

it would be good to read a step-by-step guide on your procedure as some have had patchy results on light blue.
do you use the salon creme - what volume %? do you place the parts in a container while bleaching ? sunlight or UV ?

....... + the phone looks great next to the swimming pool.

I second that! I have a Light Blue 500 I am working on right now that keeps coming out blotchy. I tried 3 times and get the same result. I have not has this issue in the past. Thanks!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

Awww, thanks guys! It ain't perfect... :) :)

I'll try to get step-by-step pictures soon--I have to finish up peroxiding a multiline housing soon.
Christian Petterson

McHeath

Really really nice!  It's amazing what the peroxide methods can do, you saved the plastics this way.  The dial buttons on my phone has some discoloration as well, so I've occasionally rubbed a little light oil on to even them out.  Probably a better way but I don't know what it would be. 

david@london

McHeath -
i don't know if this will be of any help to you but i used an electric toothbrush and a small amount of novus 2 to remove stains like these....

McHeath

QuoteMcHeath -
i don't know if this will be of any help to you but i used an electric toothbrush and a small amount of novus 2 to remove stains like these....

Wow!  That looks great, I'll have to give that a try.

david@london

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on September 07, 2015, 01:51:10 PM
The peroxide method worked beautifully, this is probably my best peroxide treatment I've ever done!

it certainly looks very good, and a very evenly-coloured end result.
could you divulge what % strength peroxide you used ? and is it a hair creme as opposed to a homemade mix with cornstarch, oxy etc ?

i have a turquoise 2500 which is in need of this treatment. i'm thinking of 20% as being suitable, from having read posts on the technique.

thanks.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: david@london on September 24, 2015, 04:33:33 PM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on September 07, 2015, 01:51:10 PM
The peroxide method worked beautifully, this is probably my best peroxide treatment I've ever done!

it certainly looks very good, and a very evenly-coloured end result.
could you divulge what % strength peroxide you used ? and is it a hair creme as opposed to a homemade mix with cornstarch, oxy etc ?

i have a turquoise 2500 which is in need of this treatment. i'm thinking of 20% as being suitable, from having read posts on the technique.

thanks.

I used 40, but had to constantly mix the peroxide and plastics around inside the bag. The 40 works a lot faster if you don't let it sit with the plastics for too long without stirring it up every half hour or so. I'll poet detailed instructions in Restoration Tips one of these days.
Christian Petterson

david@london

christian -
thanks for that info......have now ordered a bottle of 20% 20 Volume revlon hair product. i'm a bit wary of using a higher strength, having never tried this procedure.