News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1955 Mahogany brown 500

Started by AE40FAN, September 30, 2013, 06:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE40FAN

I wasn't ever expecting to come across one of these so soon.   This is a 1955 Mahogany 500 I won off Ebay.  Pictures may be deceiving and the phone actually looks black.  Not to mention a newer style finger wheel.   It had a buy it now of 124.99 including shipping.  I didn't even hesitate.  Phone arrived today packed very well.  Unfortunately, a small crack still appeared on the bottom left front of the housing.  There is also a tiny chip between the 5 and 6.  Housing has a lot of scuffs/small scratches.  Handset is pretty nice.   All dates match to around 11/55-12/55 with the exception of the dial which is 8-61.   This would explain the non period finger wheel.  I notified the seller and I got a 50 dollar discount only paying a total of 75 dollars.  This is going to take some work but,  I am glad to finally have one!

AE40FAN

The crack is small.   Any advice on the best way to repair this?  Best glue?  Glue from underside or from top and then sand.   Sanding sucks!  I'm still in the process of sanding a two tone 56 red.  I have so many project phones and I need to learn to finish one before I jump to the next.   I need to finish the AE34 I stripped the paint off.   The two tone red.  Then my Rose Beige (which has a nice story) before I proceed with this project. 

Gilas

Can't wait to see the end product.  Congrats...great find!

TelePlay

Quote from: AE40FAN on September 30, 2013, 06:53:55 PMThe crack is small.   Any advice on the best way to repair this?

This link should get you started if you want to go this route.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5059.msg63074#msg63074

There is a lot of information in the forum on chemical repair of cracks and holes. This link is very representative of the work and materials involved and will give you a good idea of what can be done. A word of caution. practice on something old before beginning work on a keeper phone.

AE40FAN

Thanks Gilas.   Yes, I will be sure to post after pics once I have it completed.   Teleplay, that process sounds promising but, I may just stick with gluing and sanding as the crack isn't that big.  Hopefully, it won't be that noticeable after.  I guess we'll have to wait to find out.