News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

nice phone shame about the shipping

Started by bullie, October 17, 2013, 08:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullie

hello i'm based in the south of England and love tinkering with these old american phones
from the 40's and the 50's.i'm always on amerian ebay the phones are a good affordable price
but when you ask about the postage what a deal breaker.if you've got phone for sale from
the 40's or 50's give me shout please cheers colin  

LarryInMichigan

Unfortunately, the UK is one of those countries with very high shipping rates.  Shipping to/from Canada is also insanely expensive.  There are probably more American phones in the UK and EU than there are British phones in the USA though, so they can be found over there.

Larry

twocvbloke

Yep, you can find american and canadian phones over here in blighty for reasonable money, it's just finding ones that are sleepers (e.g. not described well) that nobody else notices or buys, kind of like my canadian AE80, got that for £12, where if I re-sold it with a proper description, it'd probably sell for a lot more, not that I plan to part with it, it's pretty cool to have an AE80... :D

But the ones that I really want are on the wrong side of the pond, which have a nice big bill slapped on them for international shipping, so the only likelihood of getting them is just having a bit of luck on your side and finding them over here... :-\

AE_Collector

The competition for North American phones in the UK just moved up a notch!

Terry

Greg G.

Quote from: bullie on October 17, 2013, 08:23:20 AM
hello i'm based in the south of England and love tinkering with these old american phones
from the 40's and the 50's.i'm always on amerian ebay the phones are a good affordable price
but when you ask about the postage what a deal breaker.if you've got phone for sale from
the 40's or 50's give me shout please cheers colin  

I'm in the US and even I balk at paying 2-3 times the cost of the phone for shipping, just won't do it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e