News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How get case off wall phone

Started by rfman84503, January 08, 2010, 11:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfman84503

Bought an old 1980 black Western Electric wall phone. Doesn't work. Wanna find out why but can't get the case off this baby because of the "hanger-upper." Please show this beginner how to get into the insides of this vintage piece and see why it's not working (no dial tone).

Thanks.

Reggie

benhutcherson

At the very bottom of the phone in the center of the phone, you'll see a mousehole-shaped cutout. Inside of this, there's a small springy brass tab that you need to press. This will release the phone at the bottom.

Lift up some, and at the same time push the case toward the top of the phone. The case will easily lift off-it may not look like it will clear the hook switch, but manipulate it right and it will.

McHeath

Or, if it's not a rotary and is a touch tone wall phone, there are two screws under the phone number slot.  Lift off the clear plastic cover and remove the screws and you are in. 

rfman84503

Ok, thanks.  Got the case off thanks to your instructions.  Nothing seems amiss when I make a visual inspection.  Unit has a red, blue, and yellow wire coming out back. Tried to jumper the blue and red wires to the corresponding wires on the wall terminal...nothing.  Then the red and yellow...nothing. No combination worked.  My experience has been that the green and red wires normally work. 

Where should I go from here?

Thanks for all of your help,

Reggie

benhutcherson

How's the handset cord?

If it's from 1980, I'd assume it's modular. The modular cords often get worn, and get sloppy enough that they won't work.

Try substituting the handset cord from another phone, and see if that will make it work.

McHeath

No green wire eh?  Curious.  Some pictures of this phone would be good to see.  You can check out the wiring diagrams on this site:

http://telephonecollectors.org/library/

rfman84503

You were right. The handset cord was the problem.  Thanks. 

By the way, phone isn't from 1980...the handset was, but the phone, according to the inscription on the 425A network reads "1957."  I was six years old when this baby was made.

Thanks for your help.  Phone works great now.  Will hang on the wall in my ham shack (amateur radio shack, of course) tomorrow morning.

reggie

rfman84503

The "blue" wire I referred to is probably green.  Lighting wasn't great in my shop tonight.  Or maybe I'm losing my ability to tell colors.  See ya.

rfman84503

By the way, the phone handset and phone body have specks of white paint on them in places. Do you have any ideas of a chemical that might help remove these specks without upsetting the phone's finish?

Jim Stettler

Quote from: rfman84503 on January 09, 2010, 02:00:20 AM
By the way, the phone handset and phone body have specks of white paint on them in places. Do you have any ideas of a chemical that might help remove these specks without upsetting the phone's finish?

409 and elbow grease, Most of the old phones that have paint spots, are from sloppy painters. If you use 409 or a similar cleaner (w lots of elbow grease) these can be removed. Lots of paint speckles can be "flicked" off with your fingernails as well.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

rfman84503

Jim, did what you said and "all is fine in Dodge City." Specks and other broad strokes of tan paint came off just fine.  Thanks for your help.  I think I'll hang the phone today.  Again, thanks to you and everyone else who steered me through.

reggie

Dennis Markham

rfman84503, a good coat of plastic polish will do wonders for the phone too.

Jim Stettler

I am glad it was "easy" Reggie, Depending on the paint it can take a while. 409 and elbow grease works great on metal and wood phones as well.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.