News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My First Kellogg

Started by HarrySmith, March 06, 2011, 09:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Just won my first Kellogg phone. Not sure why, when I saw the Clear bar I had to have it! Guess I need a Red bar now ;D
http://tinyurl.com/4qm42fb ( dead link 12-07-21 )
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dan

When you get her, ,open her up--the electronics are very advanced IMO.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Phonesrfun

It looks like it has a Stromberg dial.
-Bill G

HarrySmith

Hmmm. I could not tell you a Kellogg from a SC from a Siemens. Guess I will find out when it arrives!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

GG

The clear bars are a variation, but if you prefer red, I have spares so we could trade components.  Each of us pays shipping on what we send to the other, and they should be packed in boxes rather than "overnight letter" shipping envelopes which can lead to breakage. 

If you're interested, send me a message. 

Yes that's an SC dial, that a previous owner tried to remove the paint from.  I may have a 10-G Kellogg dial around somewhere too, but you'd be better off with the 15-G that looks like an AE 51-A dial and sounds slightly like an AE 24 dial (no pawl silencer).  Reason is, the 10-G has a minor design flaw where there's no free play for additional rotation a fraction of an inch beyond dialing 0, such that the fingerwheel can become loose or its cutout for mounting on the main shaft can get enlarged somewhat, whereas the 15-G does not have that problem.

There's an NOS 15-G on Ebay right now, item number is 330538711010 .   I'll defer to you on that one (I won't bid against you for it). The 15-G dial with proper dial center label, plus the red hookswitch, will put it back to the way most of these were actually made.  I'm not sure about the handset & line cords but independent telcos bought cords from various suppliers so IMHO non-Kellogg cords are OK on these sets and the cords on that one look OK. 

The ringers on these are usually party line frequency ringers, but they can be tweaked a little to get them to ring quietly on 20 Hz.  If this is the case, post a photo looking down at the ringer from above, and I or someone can reply about adjusting it.  Usually that involves moving the position of the clapper (which on these is mounted to the rod with a small screw in the center) to get the greatest degree of movement at 20 Hz (straight line ringing frequency), and then pivoting the bell gongs closer together so the clapper can reach them. 

HarrySmith

Hey GG.
I do not want to get rid of the clear bar, I want to get a red bar phone to go with it. Also maybe a green bar if I can find one at a good price. There is an ongoing discussion right now on the phone lists about dials in the 1000 series and Kellogg in general. It has been stated Kellogg only made one dial for a short time in the beginning and then sourced from AE for many years until the 1000 then apparently started getting dials from a lot of different suppliers including SC and Siemens. That 15G looks a lot like an AE dial to my untrained eye. I have played with frequency ringers before but I hope it is a SL ringer! Thanks for the offers and the info!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

GG

Hi Harry-

Sorry for the confusion about clear bars & red bars.  Now I've never heard of green bars and I'm inclined to be skeptical, but if there's a photo somewhere that hasn't been blatantly photoshopped I might believe they exist : - )

I have a couple of redbars with metal housings, black.  Could be powder coated any color that goes with a black handset & dial, or polished, or whatever.  If you want one I could go dig it out and we could figure out a fair price, though it's at another location where things are rather disorganized, and my time is leveraged like crazy right now. 

Re. those dials: the 15-G is a Kellogg product.  The ratchet & pawl mechanism looks kinda' like a clock escapement, where the pawl has two arms from its pivot, one of which faces in the opposite direction from normal  so its movement over the ratchet wheel when you wind up the dial helps to keep the other end of it clear of the ratchet, thereby quieting down the windup motion to something like an AE 24 dial with a piano spring wire over the pawl.   I'm describing this from memory over 25 years ago, since I last had a 15-G.   Anyway, if you have the chance to get one NOS, I'd say go for it.   I'll regret standing back from this one some day but right now I don't have much time to think about it : - ) . 

LarryInMichigan

I have a Kellogg 15-G dial which I recently bought in poor-fair condition for $6.  It is a copy of the AE dials.  Kellogg licensed the design from AE.

Larry

GG

Larry, take a look at the ratchet & pawl mechanism under the center part of the fingerwheel.  I'd be interested to know if yours is identical to AE or has the slightly odd mechanism I described.  If it's the former, then we've discovered another variant. 

Doug Rose

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 07, 2011, 09:55:22 AM
Hey GG.
I do not want to get rid of the clear bar, I want to get a red bar phone to go with it. Also maybe a green bar if I can find one at a good price. There is an ongoing discussion right now on the phone lists about dials in the 1000 series and Kellogg in general. It has been stated Kellogg only made one dial for a short time in the beginning and then sourced from AE for many years until the 1000 then apparently started getting dials from a lot of different suppliers including SC and Siemens. That 15G looks a lot like an AE dial to my untrained eye. I have played with frequency ringers before but I hope it is a SL ringer! Thanks for the offers and the info!
Harry....nice find with the clear bar. I'm still looking for one. These are tough to find. Nice score! I love the design of a Kellogg Red Bar....I mean 1000, really sharp looking...Doug
Kidphone