News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help! What Did I Buy?

Started by Dennis Markham, February 28, 2010, 06:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Motivated by Briny's nice 553A Western Electric wall phone, I picked up a couple of items today.  I really don't know what I bought but I'd like to get an opinion from those that know.

Can you tell me a little something about these and what it will take to get it in working condition?  I'll post  them in two separate postings, so I can load more photos.

First is what I believe is a Stromberg Carlson.  The capacitor is marked S.C. No 21 - Cap 1MF.  The schematic inside reads 1157 Type Telephone.  The dial MAY be a North dial as the dial card reads The North Electric Manufacturing Co.  It's a neat card and I believe original.  In the center it reads No. but there is no number printed.  I've never seen a dial card retainer ring that is screwed on in the front.

Inside the transmitter it is marked R C D and then 7932.  That may mean July 9, 1932??? 

It appears to have been painted silver.  The receiver hook is in good shape and seems to work properly.  It is missing the receiver and cord.  The dial turns smoothly but quick.

I would like to put one or both of these into working, display condition.  Advice on what receiver I should be looking for and what type of cords were used would be appreciated.

Phonesrfun

Based on the number, 1157 that looks like a possible SC number.  Probably a regular brown 2 conductor fabric receiver cord with spade ends and possibly cord-type stays would be the correct cord.  I am not an expert in SC receivers, but if it were me, I would use almost any receiver, since they are all electrically alike.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Doug Rose

Dennis....really nice North dial,  SC used them a lot. I second Bill's choice of Stromberg Carlson. Nice Find!....Doug
Kidphone