"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1937 WE 302

Started by Butch Harlow, March 10, 2018, 06:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haf

Quote from: Pourme on March 11, 2018, 11:33:04 AM
....I am sitting here desiring that phone right now!

Benny

Me too- me too ;)

Quote from: Jim S. on March 11, 2018, 10:16:04 AM
Nice phone. You should submit it for "find of the Month>
JMO,
Jim S.

I second that.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Ktownphoneco

Butch   ....    I sent you a "PM".

Jeff Lamb

Partyline4

Butch, don't check your PM's yet! I'll give you $86 right now!!!   ::) ??? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Butch Harlow

I have accumulated all the necessary parts to complete the refurb, cords, handset pieces, and a generously donated date matched celluloid number plate. All that remains is to refinish the body, get the dial straight, and clean up the interior parts. I stripped and sanded, then buffed the shell today. It kinda seems a shame to paint it. Dang historical accuracy! I will have to do this to a less historically significant metal body 302. Because its fantrastic looking.
Butch Harlow

Pourme

~

Butch, I know it's a special 302 but you could polish it up and enjoy the metal look for a while. It will always be sitting there ready at any time. It's not like you are doing anything irreversible to it. I really enjoy my polished metal 302. Maybe one day I will paint it.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Butch Harlow

I have 2 more, both 1940. One is an AB-1 251, so I probably won't mess with that one. But the standard issue 302 is looking more and more like a polishing candidate. That polished shiny shell looks so good with the black bakelite handset and dial.
Butch Harlow

Butch Harlow

I suppose I can live with it.
Butch Harlow

Pourme

I am so particular I can never paint a phone to my sadification. I need a third party to do the job for me. Looking forward to your results....
Benny

Butch Harlow

Quote from: Pourme on April 14, 2018, 11:14:59 PM
I am so particular I can never paint a phone to my sadification. I need a third party to do the job for me. Looking forward to your results....

I have always had the same problem. I called it the disparity between my perfectionism and my patience. Some folks call it ADHD, lol. As I get older I find I have more patience. I have also learned a few tricks along the way from scenic painters and automotive refinishers. I use dupli-color automotive engine enamel (DE 1613 gloss and DE 1635 semi gloss) with ceramic. I follow their instructions explicitly. Then, I bake the parts at 200-250 degrees for an hour or so, a whole week later. The remaining solvents evaporate and the ceramic heats up. The finish smooths out quite nicely, making it almost unnecessary to wet sand and buff. But, I do that anyway, it can only get better.  The result is a mirror finish, hard as nails paint job that is probably better than original.
Butch Harlow

Dan/Panther

On a metal phone, when you paint it, put it in the oven at 160 degrees for 30 minutes. The paint will come out smooth as glass.
No orange peel, not bubbles, nothing but glorious smooth black color.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Partyline4

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 15, 2018, 11:44:34 AM
On a metal phone, when you paint it, put it in the oven at 160 degrees for 30 minutes. The paint will come out smooth as glass.
No orange peel, not bubbles, nothing but glorious smooth black color.

D/P

It'll be stronger, too! I remember when I baked my WE Candlestick in the oven, and I saw the BUBBLES!! I PANICKED! This is normal, however, as the bubble rise from the paint and pop - causing the paint to flow over itself. Leaving no signs of orange peel. Good method. Lock and load .

Butch Harlow

Quote from: Partyline4 on April 15, 2018, 02:05:18 PM
It'll be stronger, too! I remember when I baked my WE Candlestick in the oven, and I saw the BUBBLES!! I PANICKED! This is normal, however, as the bubble rise from the paint and pop - causing the paint to flow over itself. Leaving no signs of orange peel. Good method. Lock and load .

I was told not to wait a week and just bake it. So, I baked it. However, to prevent myself from panicking, I didn't look until the timer went off. As beautiful as it is, I will probably lightly wet sand, buff and wax it. Mostly because I have nothing but time to get this phone perfect. No rush, no rush at all.
Butch Harlow

Pourme

Be sure to post plenty of pictures. I'll have to try Dupli Color.
Benny

Butch Harlow

Presenting, after what seemed like way too much time, the finished product.  It's not perfect, but it's beautiful. I will have to find a protective bunker to hide it away in. It works like a champ, of all my E handsets this one has the clearest sound. I am sure you can imagine that today I am doing my best happy dance. This phone takes the #1 spot in collection for now. Thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way, I could never have done this without the assistance.
Butch Harlow

HarrySmith

Look great! Good job! Only took a little over a month, not bad. Seems to be an average amount of time for a complete restoration. I spent about a year restoring an AE 35 wall phone. Started in April 2015, sold it in February 2016. Here is the topic:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13991.msg146218#msg146218
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"