"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1937 WE 302

Started by Butch Harlow, March 10, 2018, 06:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Butch Harlow on April 15, 2018, 03:00:10 PM
I was told not to wait a week and just bake it. So, I baked it. However, to prevent myself from panicking, I didn't look until the timer went off. As beautiful as it is, I will probably lightly wet sand, buff and wax it. Mostly because I have nothing but time to get this phone perfect. No rush, no rush at all.

The point is to bake dry, the wet paint. No wet sanding, or polishing should be necessary. If it has runs, bubbles or Orange peeling you put on too much paint.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Butch Harlow

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 21, 2018, 12:36:53 PM
The point is to bake dry, the wet paint. No wet sanding, or polishing should be necessary. If it has runs, bubbles or Orange peeling you put on too much paint.

D/P

It came out of the oven pretty close to perfect, I wanted to wet sand and polish it so it would have a mirror like finish. Over the week it somehow got chipped on one of the cradle ears. It was tiny, but enough for me to sand the whole thing, re-prime and repaint it. It actually came out so good I didn't bother baking it again. I am just going to put it on a high shelf and protect it for about 3 weeks. The metal has certrain imperfections, painting gloss black makes them show. I had to decide to let it be less than mirror smooth, but it came out better than I expected by a long shot.
Butch Harlow

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Butch Harlow

Quote from: Pourme on April 21, 2018, 08:01:10 PM
We need pictures... ;)

They are a page back, I posted pics this morning.
Butch Harlow

Pourme

Opps!...Missed that!....That looks fantastic....Next time I'll put the Rustolem aside and try the Duplicolor....That looks fantastic!

Good work, Butch!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Butch Harlow

Quote from: Pourme on April 21, 2018, 09:09:35 PM
Opps!...Missed that!....That looks fantastic....Next time I'll put the Rustolem aside and try the Duplicolor....That looks fantastic!

Good work, Butch!

Thank you sir! I discovered the Dupli color working on an old bicycle. They make some stunning metallic finishes, not to mention exact matches to a range of vehicle color codes. My father in law owns a body shop so I benefited from some tips and observances there. This particular finish is DE 1613 gloss black engine enamel with ceramic. For a semi gloss finish, I used it on a space saver, try the DE 1635.
Butch Harlow