News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Sanding and Polishing Green Plastic ITT 554

Started by Nilsog, September 12, 2011, 05:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilsog

I finally got the courage up to work on the shell of my green ITT 554. I wet sanded it down until the discoloration was gone, and then I suddenly realized- I have no idea how to make it shiny again..

So what methods do you chaps use to get the luster back on phones you had to sand?

Before:

After:

Ken

Kenny C

I use novus #2. It is a great polish and is available at Harley-davidson shops and amazon
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

DavePEI

Quote from: Kenny C on September 12, 2011, 06:38:36 PM
I use novus #2. It is a great polish and is available at Harley-davidson shops and amazon

Also practically all auto glass dealers (at least around here...)

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

paul-f

It looks like you've made quite a bit of progress.  Congratulations.

To go further, it's simply a matter of using finer and finer abrasives until you get the finish you want or decide you've had enough polishing.

Hopefully you've read the many topics in this board, as this topic has been discussed in great detail before.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=24.0
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Greg G.

Quote from: Nilsog on September 12, 2011, 05:41:14 PM
I finally got the courage up to work on the shell of my green ITT 554. I wet sanded it down until the discoloration was gone, and then I suddenly realized- I have no idea how to make it shiny again..

So what methods do you chaps use to get the luster back on phones you had to sand?

What grit did you use?  Sand again with the next higher grit, then the next higher after that, up to 2000, then polish with either Novus or automotive polishers.  Use a toothbrush on the logo.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Babybearjs

I picked up some turtle wax polishing compound and tried it on my 444E  kind of hard to tell what its suppose to look like once to remove the paste... am I suppose to use anoth wax or plastic polish?  the on thig it does show is the cracks in the plastic... what does one use to keep the shine...     John
John