News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

OST Receiver Info Wanted

Started by LarryInMichigan, July 01, 2019, 05:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I just received an OST receiver with a couple of phones I bought.  I know nothing about it.  Can someone here identify it and suggest an approximate value?  The diaphragm is missing.

Thank You

Larry

Ktownphoneco

Larry   ....   It's a Western Electric 122W OST receiver.     Attached is a picture out of a Western catalog showing the receiver.   Click / double click to enlarge.

Jeff Lamb

LarryInMichigan

Thank you for the information.  Is it worth much?

Larry

rdelius

Dan/Panther

Quote from: rdelius on July 01, 2019, 06:31:04 PM
They can sell for $100+
Maybe closer to $200.00. I looked for a long time for one, finally purchased a broken one for over $100.00.

Here are before and after photos.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

FABphones

Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 02, 2019, 01:15:09 PM
......I looked for a long time for one, finally purchased a broken one for over $100.00.

Here are before and after photos.

D/P

Is that the same broken side in the after photo? Very very nicely done if it is. What adhesive and method?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Ktownphoneco

The 122-W OST Western Electric receivers, were usually made from hard rubber.    If they were broken, or damaged in some way, and the damage didn't involve missing pieces of hard rubber, they are, generally speaking, repairable.    They can also, under most circumstances, be highly polished.    I repair them by cleaning the broken surfaces with warm water and dish detergent and well rinsed with warm water, and allowed to thoroughly dry.     Then I use instant crazy glue, applied to both surfaces that will be bonded together.    If I can use some sort of mechanical clamping process I will, but sometimes because of the odd shapes that occur when they break, I use my hands to hold the pieces together for a few minutes until they set.     Once the pieces are completely cured, I sand the parts using wet / dry sand paper up to 2500 grit.    Then I buff the parts on a electric buffer with a cotton buffing wheel and plastic buffing compound.
The attached pictures are of a Western 122-W receiver I did for a collector on the east coast. 

Jeff Lamb   

Doug Rose

Jeff & Dan....outstanding repairs...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Thanks for the info Jeff, I had no idea how those were constructed.

An interesting read, there is no end to your talents. Very impressive, :) thanks for sharing.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

Excellent work, Jeff. Can't even tell it was broken.
KEN

Sargeguy

Take a toothbrush and some dish soap and scrub the top of the cap.  It will often reveal the markings. A "z" and "WESTERN ELECTRIC COMPANY". If you are lucky it will have a 7-digit serial #.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

kleenax

For what it's worth, I do cast replacement parts for the WE OST receivers. Top & bottom caps, and "Shell" as I call it. I have the top caps WITH "Western Electric Co" and plain.  BUT, I don't have any cast right now; I'm out.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Dan/Panther

Quote from: FABphones on July 02, 2019, 03:42:56 PM
Is that the same broken side in the after photo? Very very nicely done if it is. What adhesive and method?
Yes the same spot.
The method I use is Superglue very much as Jeff describes. I didn't want a new looking receiver, because I wanted my phone to look restored but not new. So I did not replate the components. I have the ability to plate parts but I chose not to. I added a coat of semi gloss clear lacquer. Absolutely no marks are visible on the receiver, you can not tell it was broken.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson