News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Candlestick Brass Lamp

Started by NikeTelephone, May 05, 2018, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikeTelephone

I have seen many a post of Candlestick Atrocities as ive seen em called here, always wondered what I would do if i had that chance, well today i saw this one, Fell in love the min I saw Her.. The wanted 100.. I got them down to 50$ Canadian.. Started to Delamp her, Looks like they glued the Mouthpiece and Earpiece on, guts are mostly missing, but i will figure that out... I just couldnt Leave it behind! :)
Barry
Phones, Who Knew! :)

Sargeguy

Not bad-it looks like all original parts.  That cup should be easy enough to find.  Once you do I'd paint the whole thing black.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

NikeTelephone

She is missing the mouth piece and earpiece innards, can see light threw it.. But from what im hearing the Hook Switch assembly is not always in them...

Sargeguy

The hookswitch assembly looks intact.  A 323 transmitter should be easy to find. Look for a 323BW or 323W,  which are available pretty cheap, and use your current faceplate. What is the receiver like?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

NikeTelephone

From what i can see the receiver is non existent as well lol

NikeTelephone

This is pretty Neat too. Pardon my ignorance on not knowing the Proper names of these parts just yet, again this is my very first True candlestick.. Thanks for all the input you guys have already givin!! :)

HarrySmith

The number card holder is nice to have, not an easy part to find!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

An old bell employee I knew, had a rather tasteful one from the pioneers. I don't know if he bought it or got as a gift from them. Because he was a long time member, sadly he's gone now and i suppose one of his boys has it now.
But when the receiver was lifted the light came on.
KEN

NikeTelephone

Funny you say say that, ive had a few folks ask me on other groups if it lights up when i lifted the Earpiece, and Nope this one was just Straight wired to the socket with white cord and with a Brown lamp cord as a Decoration for the Earpiece!

Key2871

The pioneers did such a good job transfoming that stick, the lamp cord was run down the top of the transmitter top, I don't think they drilled a hole in the set. They soldered a brass pipe between the "ears" on the top and opened one side of the cord and connected it to the switch ran the wire out through the cord hole in the base. When I first saw it I almost cried, but then he told me the story about it, etc.
The pipe off the top was about 8"-10"tall, with a nice pleated shade and harp all brass.
KEN

NikeTelephone

Speaking of the Pioneers info i found this on ebay and took the picture.. would love to get a good scan of that insert!!

andy1702

Quote from: NikeTelephone on May 06, 2018, 01:07:15 PM
   Funny you say say that, ive had a few folks ask me on other groups if it lights up when i lifted the Earpiece, and Nope this one was just Straight wired to the socket with white cord and with a Brown lamp cord as a Decoration for the Earpiece!

I've got a GPO 150 that was wired through the hook switch so the lamp came on when you lifted the receiver. They used the original wiring and put 240V DV through it! Not clever! :( Luckily it doesn't look like it's burned out the contacts and I'm now in the process of turning it back into a telephone.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

Key2871

Yea that voltage is to dangerous for that situation. Fortunitly the light doesn't draw much current.
KEN

Sargeguy

If I recall correctly it was a fairly common practice to convert old phones to lamps and sell them as fundraisers for various groups like the Jaycees, Pioneers, etc.  I have bought phone lamps that had adapters held on by the stem bolt, which did no damage to the phone itself.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409