News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Blue D1 202

Started by Doug Rose, April 05, 2012, 06:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This is by far the toughest of the Continental color sets to find. Mark Scola is a collector with 40 years of experience in collecting telephones and also retired painter for the Auto Industry. He knows his stuff! He hit a dead on WE Blue color for my Blue 202. Mark complains about the new environmental safe paints are not what they were before, but this came out superb. It was my last remaining 202 color to get. Mark does own an original WE Blue 202. This is the next best thing. I am very proud to have this in my collection. Mark is a good friend and did a really outstanding job in matching the WE Blue 202. I thought a manual set would be perfect and I was correct....Doug
Kidphone

JorgeAmely

Doug, it looks superb. This WE Blue color probably drops 10 beats per minute of your heart rate and relaxes you as well.

Did he paint it for you? What type of paint process did he use, if I may ask?
Jorge

HarrySmith

Awesome looking phone :o
You are right, the color is perfect! One question, not to nitpick but seeing as I do not have any color other than black I do not know, is it usual for the dial card retainer ring to be painted? I love the dial card too, do you have a scan of that one?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 05, 2012, 06:55:06 PM
Awesome looking phone :o
You are right, the color is perfect! One question, not to nitpick but seeing as I do not have any color other than black I do not know, is it usual for the dial card retainer ring to be painted? I love the dial card too, do you have a scan of that one?
Harry ...the retainer ring was painted on the 102s and 202s. On the thermoplastic 302s, the manual sets had a nickel retainer ring that carried into the manual 500 sets. The dial card I picked up on a beater phone over a year ago and was waiting for the right project. I do not have a scan of it

Jorge...Mark did paint it for me, I can find out the paint for you....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Hi Doug
   It is Dupli-Color DE 1609 Chevrolet Engine Enamel. It is not a perfect match,but it is as close as you can get. It's approximately 1 shade lighter than the original color.  And the new formula is an absolute bastard to work with. But you can't have blue skies and Blue 202's without some kind of sacrifice. I'm glad you enjoy it. Please warn everybody you tell about the paint,that a mask should be worn during application as it is really powdery and will no doubt screw up your lungs. Enjoy it my friend,I'm glad I could do it for you.Take care.

Jorge....Mark's answer on the paint. He is the pro, so I'd rather post the original email than screw something up in translation.

In case anyone is wondering, Mark is one great guy. I met Mark through the ATCA a dozen years ago when I posted my Blood Red softplastic 302. It came with a Brown Bakelite F1. I was happy the way it looked, but this collector kept hounding me; he had the correct handset and he wanted me to have it. I told him I was happy with what I had until the one he sent me showed up at my door. As usual, he was right on the money. Perfect match.  Start of a long freindship. There are actually some things better than old phones!...Doug
Kidphone

liteamorn

That is one beautiful phone Doug!

JorgeAmely

Doug:

Thank you for the information.
Jorge

Dennis Markham

It looks very nice, Doug.  Until you find an original, it is a great bench warmer.  I hope Mark has some of that paint left! :)

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on April 07, 2012, 12:10:14 PM
It looks very nice, Doug.  Until you find an original, it is a great bench warmer.  I hope Mark has some of that paint left! :)
I'm sure he does. I can't wait to see what one looks like with a 5J!....Doug
Kidphone