News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell System clock face sign

Started by Butch Harlow, September 23, 2018, 03:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Harlow

I found and purchased an interesting sign today. Its 14" in diameter made of aluminum and not cut by a machine. It seems it was cut out by hand so the edge is not perfectly smooth. The story I have on it is that it was purchased in a lot of other telephone items from a bell system employee. Other than that I have nothing. Its definitely painted and not vinyl transfer. It's in really good shape, so I assume it is repro of some kind, but for 20 dollars I couldn't pass it up. It is white on the backside with no markings of any kind. Any info on it would be appreciated.
Butch Harlow

Key2871

That's cool Butch, now all you need is a clock in which to install. That would make an awesome clock.
KEN

That's interesting no hole for the clock.  :o

Butch Harlow

Quote from: Duffy on September 23, 2018, 04:56:20 PM
That's interesting no hole for the clock.  :o

My thought exactly.  It looks like it was made to be a clock, but never made it through production. It has one tiny hole at the 12 to hang it on the wall. It's a curious piece.
Butch Harlow

Quote from: Butch Harlow on September 23, 2018, 05:24:49 PM
My thought exactly.  It looks like it was made to be a clock, but never made it through production. It has one tiny hole at the 12 to hang it on the wall. It's a curious piece.

I have a clock that I made out of a reproduction sign.

Butch Harlow

I just need to find a 14" diameter clock to put it in. I just hate the thought of drilling a hole in it, but I guess that was the original intent.
Butch Harlow

Quote from: Butch Harlow on September 23, 2018, 05:48:43 PM
I just need to find a 14" diameter clock to put it in. I just hate the thought of drilling a hole in it, but I guess that was the original intent.

Depending where you are, a craft store called Michael's carry clock parts.

Key2871

Yea, watch out for those cheap clock movements. A lot of the time they don't work after a short time.
If it were me, I'd go for electric. You'll be happier for longer.
KEN

Quote from: Key2871 on September 23, 2018, 06:45:17 PM
Yea, watch out for those cheap clock movements. A lot of the time they don't work after a short time.
If it were me, I'd go for electric. You'll be happier for longer.

Mine has been running for the last 10 months with no issues. Electric is a pain and having a cord running down the wall.... hummm.

Key2871

Out of three that I bought, one lasted just less than a year. The other two were out in less than a week.
Jmo. Yea the cord is ugly, but I think it's far easier than replacing them every year..
KEN

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Butch Harlow on September 23, 2018, 03:37:30 PM
I found and purchased an interesting sign today. Its 14" in diameter made of aluminum and not cut by a machine. It seems it was cut out by hand so the edge is not perfectly smooth. The story I have on it is that it was purchased in a lot of other telephone items from a bell system employee. Other than that I have nothing. Its definitely painted and not vinyl transfer. It's in really good shape, so I assume it is repro of some kind, but for 20 dollars I couldn't pass it up. It is white on the backside with no markings of any kind. Any info on it would be appreciated.
Butch,
I have seen  clocks with this face offered in the past. I always ways assumed the sign perimeter and center point were machine cut. I would keep it as is, but I am lazy.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Butch Harlow

Interesting. I have found a couple clocks I could use for this. Haven't decided if I really want to drill the hole or not.
Butch Harlow