News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gray Telephone Pay Stations 1935 (book)

Started by unbeldi, April 20, 2016, 07:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Someone is selling a copy of ''Gray Telephone Pay Stations" (1935), apparently a company published product compendium.
Is anyone familiar with this book?
Has it been available elsewhere?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301701477926

cihensley@aol.com

Yes. It is a good book on the various models of Grey pay sets. I don't remember what I paid for mine, but it was less than $100. I scanned my copy for the TCI library if you want to see the contents.

Chuck

unbeldi

Quote from: cihensley@aol.com on April 20, 2016, 08:17:51 PM
Yes. It is a good book on the various models of Grey pay sets. I don't remember what I paid for mine, but it was less than $100. I scanned my copy for the TCI library if you want too see the contents.

Chuck
Hmm, really?  Are you sure it was added to the library?

Stan S

The link I posted is from an earlier catalog.

I also have a copy of that book.
It's called 'Yesterday Today Tomorrow' by collectors.
They turn up on Ebay from time to time.
Usually for half the price this guy is asking.
Stan S.

unbeldi

Yes, that is an older version.  I think I have three versions or so but none this late (1935).

RotarDad

Thanks Stan for posting that link - I really enjoyed reading through it.  The content is great, and so it the vintage marketing and use of the English language..  very good stuff!
Paul

Stan S

Paul
The catalog in the link was reproduced a few years ago by a collector. I'm sure there's probably someone on the forum that remembers by who and how much they were being sold for. From memory it wasn't very expensive.

I'm surprised nobody has scanned The Gray 1937 catalog 'Yesterday Today and Tomorrow' to the TCI Technical Library. It is the most comprehensive collection of Gray and AE 3-slot information that exists.

Having the ability to research the various model 3-slots might put a stop to the nonsense that's being posted on Ebay. An example is the auction for the Automatic Electric 34-A9 Ebay #  231921162262. All the errors in that auction aren't can't be found in the book because some were done by AE long after the book was published. Things like P2 stamped next to the model number are an example. P2 signified the payphone was converted for 10 cent operation by the factory.
However, at least it would tell the perspective bidders the difference between a prepay and a semi-postpay payphone and which instruction card SHOULD be on the phone.

Attached is a scan of the model 34-A9 from 'Yesterday Today and Tomorrow'.

Stan S.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Stan S on April 22, 2016, 02:05:39 AM
An example is the auction for the Automatic Electric 34-A9 Ebay #  231921162262.

Where did the dial number (dot) plate come from? I've not seen one of those before - dots are usually associated with the competition.

P2 signified the payphone was converted for 10 cent operation by the factory.

Can you explain what this means? I assume the cost of a local call increased from 5c to 10c but what internal change was required (in a nutshell)?

By the way, I would love a copy of the catalogue - has someone got one that could be scanned?

Thanks
Jack

Stan S

Hi Jack
Wish I had an answer for you as far as the dots are concerned. I've never seen an AE dial with dots on any of their payphones.
Automatic Electric would change any of the 5 cent 3-slots they manufactured in the past to 10 cents for a fixed price if the customer was unable or unwilling to do it themselves.  I had a price list for that service 'somewhere'. I'll try and find it.
The upgrade involved replacing the cointrack in the top of the phone with one that had a nickel counting assembly.
See attached.
Yesterday Today and Tomorrow is a 180 page hard covered book. That's a lot of scanning!  It gave a history of the company. Listed all the models they were currently manufacturing (in detail). Had lots of pictures of their manufacturing equipment and outlined their plans for the future.
I assume it was sent to all their stockholders to calm them down after they lost their best customer, The Bell System. At one time Gray was one of the largest employers in the state of Connecticut.
Stan S.

Stan S

Jack
I went looking for Gray's price list to convert 5 cent to 10 cent payphones. Of course I didn't find what I was looking for (yet) however, I did find the attached little known information about Gray's darkest days.
The article describes the reasons why 'Yesterday Today and Tomorrow' was probably published and given to their stockholders.
Sorry that the copy isn't better but the scan is as good as the original copy that was given to me a very long time ago.
Unfortunately the last few sentences were lost. As far as I know the original is still in the Hartford Public Library.
Stan S.

paul-f

I'd like to see a copy of the 1935 catalog as well.

The TCI Library has a copy of Catalog 22 (ca 1912) and there's an unmarked Gray catalog (ca 1925) in the TCI Member's Area.

Chuck has graciously volunteered to scan his copy of the 1935 catalog, if we're unable to locate a copy that's already in pdf format.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

RotarDad

I hope this isn't too far off the topic, but I saw a Gray answering machine on Ebay.  I understand from Stan S. that Gray diversified into many other products to try and offset the lost coin collector biz.  The history is very interesting...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182099302713

I was surprised to see the "Western Electric made by Gray" tag.  Apparently mid-50s.  The seller wants $2K for this item....
Paul

WesternElectricBen

That's funny, I recall a couple years ago at the Lancaster auction, Ray could not even give one of those away. I think he began to market it as a "kitty litter box."

Ben

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Stan S on April 22, 2016, 03:29:13 PM
Jack
I went looking for Gray's price list to convert 5 cent to 10 cent payphones. Of course I didn't find what I was looking for (yet) however, I did find the attached little known information about Gray's darkest days.
The article describes the reasons why 'Yesterday Today and Tomorrow' was probably published and given to their stockholders.
Sorry that the copy isn't better but the scan is as good as the original copy that was given to me a very long time ago.
Unfortunately the last few sentences were lost. As far as I know the original is still in the Hartford Public Library.
Stan S.

Thanks for this and the previous post Stan - they are much appreciated. I don't have a 3 slot payphone and postage would be very high so I am gradually accumulating information so that when I eventually get one, it is functional and is what I expect it to be.

I appreciate the work involved in scanning books; it generally takes me ages. It makes me appreciate all the more what others scan. I also understand that some of us just don't have the time or the facilities to do it.

Thanks again
Regards
Jack