News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 294A WIP

Started by Sargeguy, February 10, 2019, 01:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Western Electric 294A fiddleback.  I bought this at the Bruneau Pioneers auction back in August.  It was in the overflow auction and it gavelled at $35.  It was from the Providence chapter.  The 294A is an uncommon common battery fiddleback.  It uses components that are more common than those found on the TYPE 85 fiddleback, and it is more compact.  It is basically a 293A housed in a fiddleback. 

There are several scuffs and dings on the finish.  The nickel is dull but intact.  I already used some Simichrome on the transmitter. The only significant problem with the phone was that the #10 arm was not attached.  It looks as if a Pioneer had replaced the original screws with the incorrect type which blew out the holes to some extent. I replaced it from a stash of vintage screws I have on hand. I had to go a little bit thicker than standard so they would "bite"

An interesting feature of this phone is that it appears to be ex-NET&T, and Providence Tel Co. ground off the "Property of NET&T" stamp.  Compare with the photo from a recent eBay auction:

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Ktownphoneco

Very nice Greg.    You certainly got it for an exceptionally good price.    Good for you !

Jeff Lamb

Sargeguy

Thanks.  It is a little beat up but I think I'll keep it.  It is the only wooden wall phone I have that I can trace to my local telco.  The line cord was absurdly long, I think it might have been a Pioneer addition, so I replaced it with a shorter one and went with a 143 while I was at it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Cleaned up pretty good.  I used Restore-a-Finish on the scrapes and it improved the appearance. I misplaced my box of 143AWs so I used a 122 receiver.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

tubaman

It looks great - and a real bargain for $35.
I'm jealous.
:)

Ktownphoneco

Looks like it's still in "service".    Nice job Greg.

Jeff

Sargeguy

Thanks.  All it really took wad polishing the nickel with Simichrome and wiping it down with Restor-A-Finish.  I wish they were all this easy.  Here is a comparison with a TYPE 85
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409